Adoption

Fostering - Questions to ask about placements

Those who've fostered, when you get a call about a possible placement, what questions do you ask, or wish you'd asked about the child(ren)?  Thanks!
Foster parents turned adoptive parents :)
Adoptive daughter born 08/07/13... growing so fast
BM due again end of March 2015 so any day!
Bloggy blog

Re: Fostering - Questions to ask about placements

• I asked about sleeping arrangements, diapers, foods/allergies, routines, special blankets/babies, any additional information regarding special needs, visits, where they are in the TPR process, what type of placement (fost/adopt, foster only), behaviors... Pretty much anything pertinent to the ages of kids we were getting.  It helped to think about the average day and everything I'd need to know about the kids.
    "My friendships are just like my marriage. We just sit here and not talk." Said by greenclown when she, hippo and I were sitting on her couch on botb at the same time.
  • Thank you for the advice!
    Foster parents turned adoptive parents :)
    Adoptive daughter born 08/07/13... growing so fast
    BM due again end of March 2015 so any day!
    Bloggy blog
  • Loading the player...
  • We always ask about any special needs, medications they are on, health concerns,

It's also helpful to know the type of situation the children are being pulled from - you deal with a severly abused child a little differently than one who is being removed for parental drug abuse.  I know often they do not know everything about the children & situation early on, but I ask a ton of questions.

Foster Mom to 3 wild and wonderful boys!
  • In addition to what the others mentioned:

- is this their first time in care?

- have family resources been explored? is the father known?

- what is the primary language in their home?

- has the first court date been set? who is their social worker?

- has the visitation schedule been determined? what is it?

As pp mentioned, often they do not have much info when they first call, but the more questions the better.

• Also,

Are you bringing them a change of clothes?

I've found that it is nearly impossible to keep clothes on hand for every size, so I just insist that DFS brings a change of clothes.  I can usually work out pajamas with the things I keep, and I also keep some pull-ups in varying sizes...

Foster Mom to 3 wild and wonderful boys!
  • I would ask the estimated clothing size of the children. I always had someone (typically my mother) who I gave a list to who would run to get some basic clothing. You absolutely do not want to be taking new placements out shopping right after they arrive in your home.

They typically will not know the extent of their needs, especially if they are being placed for the first time. IF they are being placed the first time YOU will be their eyes and ears for the first weeks and months into anything that the children will say or do if they are able to communicate. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"