School-Aged Children

What to do for my son's 7th bday party..?

Hi there, my son is turning 7 on april 19th and I just don't quite know what to do for it..for my oldest son we always rented a jumping castle and stuck it on the front lawn and that was that lol but now we've moved and I don't have the money that I used to since we're not with his father any more. Do I just do hot dogs n chips deal and let them play outside? But I live in a townhouse complex thats pretty big and I would hate to lose a child in this maze! I was thinking of renting the ymca party room and they can go swimming where its controlled? Funds are kind of low and I just want him to have a good birthday, I'm open to ideas!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What to do for my son's 7th bday party..?

• The Y sounds like fun.  Is there a nearby park where you can reserve a pavilion to have the party there?  If there's a fire pit, you could do hot dogs, smores, etc. and make it a "camping" party.  Maybe do a controlled scavenger hunt around the park too. 

You could take your DS and a few other friends to a matinee, too.   If there is a restaurant nearby you could take them out for lunch or dessert afterward. 

Do you have family nearby that would allow you to have a party at their house?

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Thanks for your input :) There is a park nearby but I don't think I could have a small fire there unfortunately..I'd love to have the party at my moms house, she has a huge deck and a bbq and a fire pit, those smore's sound pretty good right now! But I'm just not sure parents would go for it because my mums house is a 15 minutes drive to the next town and some parents just dont have a vehicle. I'm on a budget of about $120 and thats even pushing it :( I would just like him to have a great birthday, the kids and I have had a rough year and it would make them happy to have a day of celebration with friends.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you asked your son what he would like to do?  My DS just turned 7.  If I was in your shoes I would just honestly tell him that money is tight and maybe present him with some options and maybe he'll have some ideas too.  I'm sure he'll have fun just getting to have fun with his friends whatever that entails.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • What about a sleepover with a couple of close friends (like real close) with pizza and small cake?  One of DD's BFF who just turned 8, had a similar party and DD and her BFF just loved it.  It was her first sleepover (away from us).  

About ages 7-9 is where I see parties getting progressively smaller....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How about a movie party? If it's too much to take some kids to a movie, you could always rent/buy a DVD, make tons of popcorn have a candy/snack bar for the kids to pick their favorites and end with a cake.
  • imageshopgirl78:

What about a sleepover with a couple of close friends (like real close) with pizza and small cake?  One of DD's BFF who just turned 8, had a similar party and DD and her BFF just loved it.  It was her first sleepover (away from us).  

About ages 7-9 is where I see parties getting progressively smaller....

I was going to suggest something like this as well.

Just having a few buddies over for a sleepover or an afternoon of games/movie watching, or taking a few friends on an outing might be nice. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Have him choose a couple of close friends and go do something fun, like movies, bowling, bounce place, etc. Easier on you and cheaper and the kid is still happy he is getting his party.
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • Does your condo complex have a party room?  If you can reserve that, you don't have to worry about the kids getting lost!

When DD turned 7 she had a movie party - invited kids over, ate pizza and watched a girl movie.  We had popcorn in red striped boxes like they have at the movies and the cake was after the movie was over. 

Where we live, bowling parties are cheap at the lanes that aren't as huge.  Also, the gymnastics studios have inexpensive birthday parties - - you have to bring your own food, but you can make it as fancy (pizza) or low-key (chips and cake) as you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"