School-Aged Children
Options

How many hours a night of sleep does your 6-8 year old get?

My 7 year old has been begging for a later bedtime.  Sometimes, I think he's right, but then other nights, it's obvious he needs to get te sleep he does.  We start the bedtime routine around 7:30, it usually lights out around 8 or 8:15.  He'll sleep to approx 6:30 every morning (we don't have an alarm for him or wake him up).

Just curious what others do.

Re: How many hours a night of sleep does your 6-8 year old get?

• Options
    About 10-11 hours of sleep. She's in bed by 8 and up at 7.   
  • Options

imageDandelionMom:
    About 10-11 hours of sleep. She's in bed by 8 and up at 7.   

Pretty much this.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 6 year old sleeps from 7-7 usually.
  • Options
    DD is 8 and has been begging for a later bed time; but seeing how slowly she moves in the morning I'm glad that I have not given in to these requests. She currently is in bed by 8pm and is up at 6am to catch her 7am bus. So, 10 hours during the school week; and I let her sleep in on the weekends - but it's usually a miracle if she sleeps in past 8am.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD goes to sleep by 9 (I aim for 8:30 but usually it's 9) and is up at 6:45. I wish I could get her to sleep earlier but when we get home we do dinner, homework, etc. and it just doesn't happen any earlier...
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options

DS is 7.  Bedtime routine starts around 8 pm, in bed by 8:15 or so.  He is allowed to read for a while after we tuck him in.  Usually he turns the lights out by 8:30ish.  If we see his lamp is still on at 9, we'll go in and tell him to turn it off and go to sleep.  He gets up at 6 most days, closer to 7 on days when I don't teach until later in the morning.

So, about 9 hours, maybe 10 on a good day.  He seems fine with this arrangement.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    About 10ish hours.
  • Options

DS is 6 and sleeps 11-12hrs.

• Options

About 10 hours. From 9ish to 7ish. Even if I try to get him in bed earlier, he doesn't fall asleep. I shoot for in bed by 8:30 and he can read or draw or something.  Usually he falls asleep on his own by 9.

On cub scout night, it doesn't end until 8.  He needs some downtime - there's no way he'd get in bed at 8:30. So, we usually skip the reading portion of our evening and he just gets in bed at 9...

• Options
    Bedtime at our house is 8pm for all kids (except Sunday night 730pm--mostly because DS1 doesn't nap and needs the extra 30 mins).  DD usually falls asleep right away and wakes around 630am. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

my 7 yo gets about 10 hours/night (9 pm - 7 am roughly).  She's in bed well before 9 pm but that's when she realistically/reliably is asleep

• Options
    Nearly 6y. In bed by 8ish and typically asleep by 8:30.  Up at 6:20 since we have to be out of the house by 7 for them to get to before care and I can get to work by 8. So about 10.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Bedtime for the 5 (almost 6) y.o. and 7 y.o. is 7:30, they are usually asleep around 8. They get up between 6:30 and 7.
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • Options
    She's in bed by 8, reads until 8:45 and is up by 6:45 at the latest. She goes to bed later on the weekends and gets up around 8 on those days. She'll be 8 in June.
  • Options
    JMayJMay member
    My 6yo DD functions best on 11 hours of sleep.  I was puttin gher to bed at 8:30, but that shorted her when it came to getting up for school.  If she's in bed by 7:30 and falls asleep just before 8, mornings are a breeze and she's a happier kid. 
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"