Adoption

Graduation gift idea for dd's birth mom

Our dd's birthmom is graduating this May.  She wants us to come to her graduation :)  We want to give her a graduation gift, but we feel kind of awkward giving her money.  Any suggestions for other gift ideas? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Graduation gift idea for dd's birth mom

• High school or University? What are her plans after she graduates? What is your budget for this gift?
  • Hmm, toughie!  I'm finding with Q's birth mom that a mix of practical + sentimental is working well.  She appreciates the photos/art projects, etc, but I know she also needs the basics.  I would give a gift card (Target, American Express, her favorite store) and something like a book (along the likes of Oh the Places You'll Go or maybe one of Zoe's favorites?).  Also, flowers for the ceremony.  :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • If she has college plans, you could get her a sweatshirt with the logo from the school she plans to attend.  

If not, maybe she would like a gift certificate for a manicure or pedicure.

• High school or University? What are her plans after she graduates? What is your budget for this gift?

Sorry that info would have helped!  High school graduation.  Right now she plans to go to cosmetology school.  Budget - I guess around $50?

Hmm, toughie! I'm finding with Q's birth mom that a mix of practical + sentimental is working well. She appreciates the photos/art projects, etc, but I know she also needs the basics. I would give a gift card (Target, American Express, her favorite store) and something like a book (along the likes of Oh the Places You'll Go or maybe one of Zoe's favorites?).

I thought about a photo or art project, too.  We're going to see her and her family at the zoo in about 2 weeks; maybe I can take a nice pic of Zoe and her birth mom and frame it?  I like the gift card idea - I just wasn't sure what type of store.  The book idea could work, too...

Also, flowers for the ceremony. :-) 

Definitely flowers - thanks!

If she has college plans, you could get her a sweatshirt with the logo from the school she plans to attend.

I love the idea but I'm not sure if she even knows which school she's going to yet (at this point it's a cosmetology school but she's still a bit undecided.)

• you could get her some of the items she'll need for school, like scissors and gloves and such. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you' they should be able to help. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • imagesrmmm09:
    you could get her some of the items she'll need for school, like scissors and gloves and such. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you' they should be able to help. 

That's an idea...or maybe I can see if there's a Sally near her and get her a gift card for there?  Hmm....

• imageArt Teacher:

imagesrmmm09:
    you could get her some of the items she'll need for school, like scissors and gloves and such. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you' they should be able to help. 

That's an idea...or maybe I can see if there's a Sally near her and get her a gift card for there?  Hmm....

I was going to say this!! 

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • imageArt Teacher:

imagesrmmm09:

Well, I talked to my hair stylist about the Sally gift card idea (or buying her items from there.)  She said that when she went to Beauty School they give you the items you need to use as part of your tuition. 

She mentioned a Visa gift card, but DH doesn't want to do that because it's too much like giving her money. 

So I guess I'm back at square one again!  (Except I'll still do flowers and maybe make something with Zoe for her.)

• I don't think the graduation is a typical art project from your DD type of gift event.

Have you ever given her jewelry?  What about a nice silver necklace or nice jewelry box (maybe with an engraved plaque?).  Something for BM that is not attached to your DD would be appropriate IMO, it doesn't have to be fancy, but just special to mark the milestone.

Left, Right
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"