Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

PTing: putting on potty every 30 minutes vs. sitting on potty til they go

I'm getting conflicting advice on this.  My DD is just starting to warm up to the idea of going potty on the toilet.  Her DCP says to put her on the potty about an hour after a meal where she's had a good amount to drink and have her sit there til she goes.  She started doing this with her at DC on Tuesday.  The first time, she sat there for about 45 minutes.  Yesterday, the shortest time she sat there was about 25 so she's getting faster.  Her DCP thinks she's just stubborn.  We have yet to get her to go on the potty at home.  My mom seems to think we should just put her on the toilet every 20 to 30 minutes for, at most, 10 minutes.  And if she doesn't go potty, let her get down.  She's been in pull ups and we've been doing this since Tuesday and she pees in the pull up at some point but never in the toilet.  She's in underwear today and DH thinks we should do what my mom says and if she pees in her underwear, he seems to think it will take a couple times doing that before DD will hate it enough that she'll tell us she needs to pee or she'll go when we put her on the toilet.  Just wondering what others did and what worked??  TIA!!!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: PTing: putting on potty every 30 minutes vs. sitting on potty til they go

• Options
    I have not gone this route we are just starting to warm her up to the idea.  Everyone I have talked to says when you are ready to go at it full force underwear is the way to go because pull-ups are more like diapers.  Most of my friends suggested putting them on every hour another friend suggested when going out putting a pull-up over underwear that way she will feel the wetness but will not leak onto the carseat, couch, etc... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

What I think, based on my experience: 1. ditch the pull ups (except maybe for nap or bed). They're just a glorified diaper and kids know it. Both of my kids, during PTing, would treat a pull up the same as a diaper. 2. My initial instinct was to say go with whatever day care's doing, so that her training is consistent (assuming she's in daycare full time), but that seems like a very long time to keep her on the potty. But if, like you said, it's takng less time for her to pee, then maybe it'll work. With DS, we put him on the potty every 10-15 minutes the first day he was in underwear, encouraged him to pee, took him down if he didn't, and rewarded him (gummy bear) when he did. The next day we spread out the potty visits, and continued like that until he took initiative. It was exhausting, but had him fully trained within a week, for sure. 

Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When ds pt'd we went straight to undies (except for bed) and we asked him to let us know when he has to go potty. We'd say (about every half an hour on the first day) remember to let mommy know when you have to go potty. Usually about a minute after saying he didn't have to go, he'd change his mind. Then I'd ask him every hour after that first time or within 20 minutes of having a lot to drink. Ds was very ready to be pt'd so this worked for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto PP. Ditch the pull-ups. Maybe think about a PT weekend. 
  • Options

hey jalaiaa... Fancy meeting you here ;)  LOL

We don't leave DS on the potty, keep him there for an extended time, or put him on it every 30 minutes.  We have naked time-- obviously you can't do that at day care.  The first time we did this, he started to pee on the floor and I quickly sat him on the potty and praised him.  Now, whenever he's naked, he goes automatically to the potty and pees.  He has even pooped in it (gross, but whatever).  He sometimes pulls off his pull-ups and goes, but that's rare.  I have been trying to convince DH to just get some underwear already, but he is stubborn.  I think once we do that, it'll be a breeze to finish his training.

Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't force a kid to sit on the toilet until they go... sounds like a way to get  the  kid to hate the toilet! I always asked if my dd had to go.... if she said no I respected that... She only had a  few accidents the first few days we learned the  toilet then after that she was accident free... at 20 months, I never once foreced her to go and now she is accident free.

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    imagehutchison.andrea@gmail.com:

hey jalaiaa... Fancy meeting you here ;)  LOL

We don't leave DS on the potty, keep him there for an extended time, or put him on it every 30 minutes.  We have naked time-- obviously you can't do that at day care.  The first time we did this, he started to pee on the floor and I quickly sat him on the potty and praised him.  Now, whenever he's naked, he goes automatically to the potty and pees.  He has even pooped in it (gross, but whatever).  He sometimes pulls off his pull-ups and goes, but that's rare.  I have been trying to convince DH to just get some underwear already, but he is stubborn.  I think once we do that, it'll be a breeze to finish his training.

Why hello. So nice to see you! 

• Options
    I've tried it all.  I could not for the life of me force my child to sit there, even if I put a movie on the computer, because she will not sit still for longer then a few minutes.  I tried forcing fluids and then putting her on about 45 minutes later, but she's not a huge fluid drinker (never has been) so I couldn't even do that.  What finally worked is just putting her in underwear and dealing with the fact that I was going to have to clean up puddles.  Within a week of straight underwear (except naps & bed) she was holding it all morning and afternoon and then loading her diaper at nap & night.  I would put her on the potty but she would still hold it until naps.  So I dropped the diaper at nap.  That plus putting her to bed and then getting her about 10 minutes later, when she was relaxed and not thinking about it, worked to finally get her to pee.  Now she'll tell us when she has to go and I don't even ask because I know she'll tell us.  We have yet to conquor poop though.... she's still holding that until night time.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    We're potty training now, but WOW 45 minutes. I can't even get my kid to sit that long in general never mind on a potty seat.
  • Options

We had sucess with putting her on the potty every 45 minutes and underwear only. That way she got more of a handle on the result of peeing in your pants. It makes it more uncomfortable and therefore more appealing to get in on the potty. I would sing a song and that was the duration that she would try to go. 

Eventually we started "catching" pee's. We would cheer like we were watching football or something and give a special treat.  

Pooping was a different story all together! 

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We started potty training last Wednesday. The first day, I put him in underwear and made him sit on the potty for 5 minutes each time. It didn't really click until the second or third day, when I stopped putting pants on him - in just underwear, the sensation was more uncomfortable.

Keeping a toddler on the potty longer than 5 or 10 minutes seems cruel to me. What does your dcp do while your DD is sitting on the potty?
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagekatlizabeth:
    When ds pt'd we went straight to undies (except for bed) and we asked him to let us know when he has to go potty. We'd say (about every half an hour on the first day) remember to let mommy know when you have to go potty. Usually about a minute after saying he didn't have to go, he'd change his mind. Then I'd ask him every hour after that first time or within 20 minutes of having a lot to drink. Ds was very ready to be pt'd so this worked for us.

This is how I did it with all 3. 

DD#1- had occasional success for 3 days, then got it, with occasional accidents.  Poop took another month or so.

DD#2- 3 weeks in undies not a single catch on the potty.  Every single time she went in her undies, on my floor.  Then woke up and was completely trained with an occasional accident.

DS-  We had started watching the videos, and got him underwear to warm up to it and then one morning  woke up, stripped sat and peed.  From that minute on he was pee-trained, even waking up dry every morning.  4 weeks later we'll still working on poop.

BUT I really think at this age, ditching the pullups and taking the natural consequence of getting soiled, and eliminating the power struggle, it will likely be a smoother and happier process.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"