Nurseries and Baby Gear

Audio vs. Video Baby Monitor

We will be first time parents this year and are looking for some help on baby monitors.  Which do you prefer just audio or video w/audio?  Is it worth the extra cost to go with the video baby monitor?

Re: Audio vs. Video Baby Monitor

• For us, yes. We have a 2-story home and I like being able to check-in on my big girls when they are playing up stairs in their shared room and I can look in on the baby while she sleeps without opening the door.

When we move into a 4-br house they will each have a camera in their room and one in the playroom (we have the Summer Infant video monitor and you can hook 4 camers up).

We just got it last year and I wish we would have purchased it much sooner.

• I didn't feel the need for video so we just went with a basic audio monitor, the Sony BabyCall.  It's worked great for us and I haven't regretted not getting video.  It's really just a personal preference thing though.  You have to decide if you need to see your baby or if just being able to hear is enough for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Can't say enough good things about our video monitor.  I never even thought about an audio only.  The benefits of the video just seem to justify the cost & totally outweigh the audio only monitors.  What I love most is that I can check on DS without going in his room & risking waking him up.  I can not only hear him breathing or talking, but I can see what he's doing.  There's times where he'll sound like he's awake, or waking up, but when I look on the monitor, he's still asleep or just changing position.
    Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • If you plan on having more kids, I'd say, just get the video monitor now.  I can already tell it will be so much nicer to look in on a napping nb/infant on a monitor while playing with my toddler instead of going upstairs at every other noise I hear.  Babies can make a lot of noise while they sleep and you're better off not taking the chance on waking him/her by opening the door to peek in.

Plus w/ a lot of the video monitors, you can add up to 4 camera's which will make things a lot simpler with a growing family.

• We still use the angelcare monitor for naps and night time and haven't used the video monitor yet (he sleeps in our room, so I can see him just fine), but, when ds outgrows the angelcare monitor and moves into his room, I will be using the video monitor. Better safe than sorry. Plus, I like that I can add extra cameras onto the video monitor and plan on installing them in the bedrooms of our future LOs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecdc1982:
    Can't say enough good things about our video monitor.  I never even thought about an audio only.  The benefits of the video just seem to justify the cost & totally outweigh the audio only monitors.  What I love most is that I can check on DS without going in his room & risking waking him up.  I can not only hear him breathing or talking, but I can see what he's doing.  There's times where he'll sound like he's awake, or waking up, but when I look on the monitor, he's still asleep or just changing position.

exactly this. our video monitor was invaluable when we went through nap sleep training. if he was fussing and standing up, we'd go in there, if he was fussing and laying down, we learned he was just about to fall asleep. without the video monitor, sleep training would have been so much more difficult.  

Anniversary

• I'm a major cheapskate, but a video monitor was well worth the money for us. SO nice to be able to peek in on them without going in (because if they're fussing a little and they see you, it's all over!)

And I have a feeling it will only get more useful as it gets older. My best friend told me the story of how her 2 year old was making noise in his crib but she didn't go in because he was just playing not upset and crying, and it turned out he had pulled off his diaper and painted the walls with poop! Will be nice to be able to see what's going on in there without disturbing her!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I love my video monitor because DD talks in her sleep and I can't tell sometimes if she is sleeping or awake and I need to go in to her. I can look at the monitor and see if she is picking her head up (awake and needs me) or not (just talking in her sleep, ignore and she will stop). Well worth the money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We used an audio monitor with our first child, but will be getting a video monitor this time.  My DD has been talking a lot about about wanting to share her blankets and stuffed animals w/her new baby sister--so, I worry about her putting something into the crib at night since she doesn't know better.  I will just sleep better being able to see both my girls. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks Everyone for the Info I think we will be going with the video monitor as we plan to have more kids and will be looking for one of the models that has the option to add additional cameras
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"