Adoption

No adoption if on anti-anxiety meds?

Hi all,

I take anti-anxiety medication (a low dose) for both anxiety and depression (mostly anxiety). I've taken it for many years and, with the meds, the conditions are well controlled. I also see a therapist every couple of weeks just for "talk therapy."

DH and I have begun thinking about an adoption plan, and I've read that some agencies and/or countries frown upon these medications, as well as people who seek mental health treatment.  These aren't severe conditions that I have, and my doctor would attest as such.

In your experience, is mental health treatment something that would bar me from adoption?

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: No adoption if on anti-anxiety meds?

• During our research of domestic vs. international, we found that some countries do have restrictions about anxiety medication--that eliminated my husband.  Looking into domestic, I don't think we found any agencies that would disqualify my husband based on his anxiety meds.  You should be able to find an agency that will work with you with no problems.  
  • Are you set on a private or international adoption? I don't know much about these, but I do know that if the conditions are controlled, you wouldn't have any problem adopting through the state (foster care) system. They most likely will just ask for verification from your therapist and the records of medications.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We're adopting from Uganda, and we were told that most African nations frown on mental health treatments. I have been in therapy a few times, and we were told to downplay its importance, but I'm not sure they would approve your dossier in Uganda if you're still on anti-anxieties. I believe the situation is similar in China, Taiwan, and South Korea. FWIW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • No problems with domestic...in case you want to think about going that direction.
    Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the feedback. We are open to either international or domestic, but are hesitant to go the foster-adopt route for a couple of different reasons. I will have to see how it goes, but it sounds like domestic private adoption may be an easier road at this point.
  • We had to fill out information about what medications and/or medical treatments we use, but it wasn't meant to disqualify us.  I think it was more a part of painting the picture of our lives than anything else.  
  • This makes me nervous.  I have been on anti-anxiety meds and seen a psychiatrist/therapist since my son died last year.  

DH and I are looking into China special needs adoption-I really hope I am not disqualified-although we have agreed to wait a few years before applying so things can change.

Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • You will have no problems with domestic adoption.
  • I'm on anti-anxiety meds - Wasn't an issue for us since I had a letter from my doctor saying my depression/anxiety is under control and has been for a long time thanks for the meds.
    *TTC since February 08* 2 IUIs that didn't take, exploratory LAP and hysterscopy in September 2010 that revealed nothing, means we're adopting! Preliminary paper work to agency & started home study in 11/10 Profiles to agency on 1/12/11 - Officially waiting! First home study visit scheduled for 1/29/11 Matched (Eek!) on 1/24/11 *Sweet baby boy born on 1/26/11* Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks...makes me feel somewhat better to hear. We had been thinking about Eastern Europe as an international possibility, but I will see what some agencies have to say.
  • Here in Michigan they say you have to be 'fit for adoption' they did an extensive check into my aunts and her husbands medical history when she was adopting her girls. She was still approved. She takes psychiatric med's too.They just wanted to make sure they were 'stable' and able to care for children. They did not go through an agency though. They were adopting kids that were in foster care... so it went right through the state.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • GL to you!  I have a history of depression, currently seeing a therapist, but do not need meds.  I called a few agencies and was told it would not be a problem for domestic infant adoption. 

The response was not so positive for international adoption. 

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"