Military Families

If you husband has ever gone to Goodfellow AFB!

Hey ladies! DH is headed to Goodfellow for his intel training soon. I am wondering, will he ever be able to come home while he's there? If he has leave or a four day weekend, can he make the trip back? Or does he have to stay within X amount of miles to the base? Trying to work out if we'll have to fly down every time or if he can fly home. TIA!

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
BFP 2/25/09
HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
DS Born October 30, 2009
BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
DS Born January 20, 2012
BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

Re: If you husband has ever gone to Goodfellow AFB!

• I am not sure how far away you are from the AFB, but in the navy he can only go 200 miles without dropping a leave request. So you may be the one flying more...

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• If your husband is Army my husband says (assuming this is AIT) that he will not be able to leave without a pass (which is likely to be denied as AIT status).  If he's a reclass, that's a different story and he may be able to.  How much you're allowed to do in AIT there is based on the amount of time you've been there (what phase you are).  In the initial phases you are not allowed to even leave the base during your free time, later on that changes and you're allowed to leave the base.  He was allowed to fly back home to MI/OH for a funeral, but he also got washed back two weeks for the time he had to miss from class.  He was only allowed to miss 16 hours, two days, before he was washed back, effectively making his graduation date two days later.  This applies to sick time too.  He was given about two weeks (exodus leave) at Christmas time during which he was allowed to fly back home.  He thinks he was allowed to fly back during Thanksgiving, but he's not sure because he flew me down at the time anyway. lol.  He also said that as long as the AIT is, you may be able to PCS there with him.  Not sure you'd want to move for only those few months though.  This was a couple years ago, but hopefully this helps!!  If you have any other questions let me know and I'll bug him for more answers. :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • What service is he? (the rules are VASTLY different for each service) My husband and I are both Air Force and both went through the school at Goodfellow just last year so I can tell you plenty about the AF rules, otherwise I can only tell you about the base and area. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions or would like to know about the area! We were there for 5 months so I learned the city pretty well. 
  • If he is AF: It varies depending on the MAJCOM and the base commander. Every time we get a new base commander here, he signs a new policy letter. Right now my base has a 7 hour rule - if google maps or mapquest (or similar program) says it is less than 7 hours, you can go without taking leave. If it is 7 hours and 1 minute, you have to be on leave status. I am part of ACC, but I believe if he is in training or at a school, he should be part of AETC, which tends to have some completely different rules (no smoking during duty hours, for example). The best advice I have is to have him ask when he gets there, if they don't do a welcome brief with that info.
  • skoozskooz member
    We just left there and like others have said it depends on which service he's in. If he's AF and in AETC I would be really surprised if he could fly anywhere without taking leave. And he likely won't be able to take leave unless it's a national holiday. As far as driving, lots of people made weekend trips to Dallas and Austin which are about 4 hours away. If he's AF it also depends on how long he's been in. Airmen straight out of basic can be very limited on what they're allowed to do at first, but prior service have a lot more flexibility.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my dh had his tech training (right after basic) there for six months so I moved there with him. it overlapped over Christmas and they were allowed time off for the holiday but other than that they didn't have time off. if he wanted to go out of town over the weekend it had to be approved by his superiors, but that could be because he was a new recruit and not prior service. I should mention too that the program was intense and a lot of times he spent late evenings and/or weekends on base studying (since it's classified material there is a very limited amount they can study at home)

I will say that getting in and out of San Ang is a mother. they have a teeny tiny airport that only has American Airlines flights to/from Dallas. San Antonio, Dallas and Austin are between 3-4 hours away, Houston more like 6. I don't know where you live if driving would be an option.

the town itself is small but really family friendly and nice. other than being in the middle of nowhere I liked it. 

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am currently in the Army and was stationed at Goodfellow AFB for AIT. If your husband is in the Army, his privileges are dependent on his MOS. 35N's (SIGINT Analysts) are more restricted upon arrival since they are coming straight from basic training while 35P's (Cryptologic Linguists) automatically receive full privileges since they are coming from language school. Once he arrives, he is on lockdown for the weekend and cannot go anywhere. Generally speaking, once he passes a PT test, he will be granted pass privileges. As long as he is not on academic probation, under punishment by UCMJ, or a PT test or height/weight failure, he will usually be allowed to go on pass for four day weekends. If he is a 35N, his leadership might be strict when it comes to allowing passes, especially in the beginning. The whole time I was there I was allowed to go on pass, as long as I gave at least 2 weeks notice. Hope this helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• My husband is an 0-1 in the Air Force. He is there for Intel school, I'm not sure which group that means he's in. We live in Ohio, it is a long way away. We would have loved to PCS with him but there was no housing available. He just got back from Iraq last year and I'm devastated about losing him again after such a short amount of time! Thanks for all the input ladies!
    Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• I went to 1N0 training there. The rule is (or was) 50 miles, anything over you had to get permisson. Mostly they don't want you going to Mexico (about 70 miles away) and I'm sure especially now with all the civil and governmental unrest that going on. It's really easy to get permisson to go home for long weekends though, if he explains the circumstances. It does get a little pricey flying in and out of there. I flew once out of San Angelo airport and another time drove to Dallas and left from there. Much less expensive to fly from DFW. I wish him luck! It's a tough course and even though he may have the time to come home, he might just want to stick around and use the library or study.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"