Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Advice on potty training #2

Hi ladies,

DD (just turned 3) is doing fantastic with peeing on the potty-no accidents in days, asking on her own, etc.  Poop, on the other hand, isn't so easy.  She's had an accident with that every day.  I think she might be afraid.  Any advice on how to make this part easier or what to do?  Thanks! 

Re: Advice on potty training #2

• Options

have you tried rewards?  My niece would start pooping and my sister would see it and bring her straight to the potty so she'd finish in there.  She got very excited and my niece finally got it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Rewards for poop on the potty (we did 5 Skittles for each poop) and beyond that - just give it time.  It is very common for kids to not poop train for a while after they are pee trained.  Other bigger rewards that we did were letting her pick out new special undies after she had a week of no accidents at all and also a special ice cream outing after a month of no accidents.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

does she poop at the same time every day? or close to it?

get her to the toilet on a schedule, every 2 hours (or hour if you can). loads of praise and no criticism. 

just remember, it WILL happen...it is frustrating though...i've been potty training for years and poop always comes slowly (no pun intended). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

For us character underwear was key.

I let them pick out their favorite character underwear and then told them they got to put it on once they put poop in the potty.  

When I would see their bellies get distended I'd tell them they had poop belly and needed to push the poop out.  Then I'd sit with them and make the "poop face" trying to help them understand how to push it out instead of waiting until it was falling out and racing to the toilet.

DH was a gem with this.  Once they got in their character underwear he really hammed it up.  DH would make Thomas say:  "Peep peep - don't poop on me!" and it worked really well.  They really really didn't want to poop on Thomas.  Somehow it seemed rude to them so they tried really hard to get the poop out and avoid accidents.

Also - consider your rewards.  What works for one kid doesn't work for another.  My first was very M&M's motivated.  My 2nd has a thing for balloons.  I'd sit with him and with every good push I'd blow the balloon up a little bit more.  If he put poop in the potty, he got the balloon.  Worked like a charm when M&M's were doing nothing for him.

GL! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"