Attachment Parenting

Bed sharing question

So we bed share and have since lo was little. So here is my question (which honestly I know the answer too, just need to hear it from you all)... I have a horrible head cold and would love to take night time cold meds but am so afraid to cause of BSing and BFing. Its not safe to take night time cold medicine is it? Sorry I haven't slept in days and I guess I am kinda just wanting to hear from other mommas that are/were sick and had to just deal with it. Side note: sorry if I am rambling like I said I haven't slept, I have a horrible cold and I am posting from my phone.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bed sharing question

• I really think it's fine. When talking about alcohol/medications and bedsharing safety, I think they're referring more to folks who are on a laundry list of prescription meds that could make them incredibly drowsy and unresponsive. I font think taking a small amount of cold medicine is going to be a danger. Also, your LO appears to be an older baby, so that is better than if he were a newborn. I hope you feel better!
  • I am so sorry! I JUST got over a head cold and ear infection so I know the feeling! We bedshare and I would never take anything that would knock me out.  Drink some bedtime tea; the tea will get you relaxed and help with the cold.  I've been breasfeeding for almost three years and have never taken cold medicine. I am so sorry you are not feeling well.  For my head cold and ear infection I ended up needing antibiotics and I am taking something that is safe with breasfeeding.  If you are having headaches with your head cold take some tylenol.  I hope you feel better soon!
    April 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCountryMile:
    I am so sorry! I JUST got over a head cold and ear infection so I know the feeling! We bedshare and I would never take anything that would knock me out.  Drink some bedtime tea; the tea will get you relaxed and help with the cold.  I've been breasfeeding for almost three years and have never taken cold medicine. I am so sorry you are not feeling well.  For my head cold and ear infection I ended up needing antibiotics and I am taking something that is safe with breasfeeding.  If you are having headaches with your head cold take some tylenol.  I hope you feel better soon!
    You know, I apologize because I didn't realize you are BFing. In that case, no, I'm sorry but I don't think it's safe to take cold medicine either :( Hope you feel better soon!
  • https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

You can't take something like Nyquil that will impair you, but you CAN take something. I typically use a nose spray (Dristan or Afrin) so that I can breathe, and that lets me sleep. It's breastfeeding safe and bedsharing safe. 

• When I am really sick, I sleep in the other room and DH sleeps with DD.  We all sleep together anyways, so he's used to it, but this at least allows me to get some better rest.  
  • Oh the bedtime tea is a good idea I will try that. My nose is ok so nasal spray won't help. Its head pressure, sore throat, cough and body aches. And I nurse at night so I can't sleep in another room :(
  • In addition to the tea, try a humidifier, ibuprofen and some honey. Eucalyptus oil in the humidifier is amazing.
  • imagerickandcaitlin:
    Oh the bedtime tea is a good idea I will try that. My nose is ok so nasal spray won't help. Its head pressure, sore throat, cough and body aches. And I nurse at night so I can't sleep in another room :(

Neti pot to try to clear out the sinuses. And ibuprofin for aches.

Most cough medicine is fine, just not something that will knock you out. Check the kellymom link for suggestions on the safest. Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin are both fine, and that's what is in most cough syrups (read the active ingredients).

I really don't believe in suffering. I live too close to the edge of sanity to give up much more.

• Well everyone thanks for all the advice but no luck with sleeping last night. Wyatt is now super sick. He had a little cold over the weekend and when I took my oldest to the pedi on monday for an ear infection he looked in Wyatt's ears and noticed mild ear infections and put him on antibiotics (remember i posted about it). Well about dinner time Wyatt developed a fever so I gave him a bath and tylonel and it brought the fever down. Well around 2 am when the tylonel wore off the fever returned and needless to say Wyatt was not happy and spent the next 2 hours up crying/fussing/coughing. So I finally get back to sleep around 5 and the alarm goes off at 6:15!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"