Parenting after 35
Options

Ear Tubes

Aaron is getting them on Thursday. Not because of chronic ear infections but because he has mild to moderate hearing loss in both his ears from fluid that is not draining.

I'm a bit anxious, even though I know it's very common. Plus his ENT wants no water in his ears while the tubes are in, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get him to let me put cotton balls or ear plugs in his ears during bath time.

The cost is another annoyance but we haven't dipped into our FSA this year, so it will be covered. But how could I live with myself if I didn't do this? I mean his hearing loss is completely reversible and he DOES have a speech delay. No brainer. But still anesthesia is anesthesia. sigh.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: Ear Tubes

• Options
    Poor little Aaron, but it looks like it has to be done. Will be sending positive thoughts on Thursday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Don't sweat it.  It is super easy and they usually just use gas because it is so quick.  Seriously.  You will barely have time to sit down and the doctor will be out to get you.  Takes about 15 minutes.  He'll be disoriented and super POed right afterwards and might be good to let them give him some tylenol to help with the discomfort of the crackling afterwards but after mine had a nap, they were good to go.  Consider getting some silicone ear plugs.  Our local swim place had them for kids and you can mold it to the ear (I taper it down so it fits in the beginning of the ear canal and just push it in).  Those are like sticky play doh so fairly comfortable.  DD doesn't like things in her ears but she will allow those for swim lessons no problem.  They were a whopping $3.50 for a pack of 6.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good Luck to you and Aaron on Thursday.  I have heard it does go very quickly, and is a very common process.   Good advice about the silicone ear plugs, Pesky!
  • Options
    Oh buddy, it'll be okay!   And just imagine how happy he'll be eventually when he can hear better and his speech improves.  Think of the end results, not the process.
  • Options
    I will be thinking of A and you on Thursday. I have also heard that it is a routine process that doesn't take long. And yes, think of the benefits from it. It will be a whole new level of communication for your little man. 
  • Options

Anesthesia is super scary, but he'll do great. And it'll be awesome once his hearing's improved. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I had tubes put in when I was 9 for the same reason as A, and it was a revelation afterward. I had no idea what I wasn't hearing until I could hear properly.

I'm actually really excited for him!

• Options
    Good luck!  I know it's scary, but everything is going to be fine and he's going to have super ears!  Oh, and LOVE the new pic!  Soooo cute...what a great smile!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagePesky:
    Don't sweat it.  It is super easy and they usually just use gas because it is so quick.  Seriously.  You will barely have time to sit down and the doctor will be out to get you.  Takes about 15 minutes.  He'll be disoriented and super POed right afterwards and might be good to let them give him some tylenol to help with the discomfort of the crackling afterwards but after mine had a nap, they were good to go.  Consider getting some silicone ear plugs.  Our local swim place had them for kids and you can mold it to the ear (I taper it down so it fits in the beginning of the ear canal and just push it in).  Those are like sticky play doh so fairly comfortable.  DD doesn't like things in her ears but she will allow those for swim lessons no problem.  They were a whopping $3.50 for a pack of 6.

Good suggestion - I was just going to write this. Good luck to you and Aaron, I'm sure you'll both do fine! And I hope it works for him too.

• Options

Yeah, Aaron's ENT suggested that too (also a cotton ball with vaseline but I'm not sure how well that will go over). They also make a custom earplug with a mold but if I can spend $3.50 instead of more, that would be great.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"