Baby Showers
Options

Baby Shower Etiquette

I work at law firm for 4 male attorneys, 3 of whom are married. I am very friendly with one wife, but have met the other 2 only once or twice. Is it proper etiquette to invite the 2 other wives to my shower? Its not that I don't want to invite them. I just don't want it to seem like I'm just inviting them for a gift.  Anyone else experience a similar dilemma?

Re: Baby Shower Etiquette

• Options

Friendly as in you've seen her/ talked to her outside of law firm functions, and even one on one, or friendly as in when you see her at functions, you talk?

If it's the latter, then I simply wouldn't even invite her, to be honest.

If it's the prior and you really want to invite her... I'm just super conservative when it comes to inviting people to gift giving events and I wouldn't want to invite the other wives.  You've only met them once or twice.  I'd find it really odd to get invited. 

I read this as if you're part of the staff- you're not an attorney?  I kind of find it a stretch to invite the wives of your bosses who you really dont' know to a non-work related, gift giving function.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Coming back to this, another thing to remember is that having a baby is about your personal life.  It's not about your work life.  I don't know that i'd use my baby shower (a gift giving event) to be "the" event that I cross that line w/ with my bosses wives who I really don't know. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    Coming back to this, another thing to remember is that having a baby is about your personal life.  It's not about your work life.  I don't know that i'd use my baby shower (a gift giving event) to be "the" event that I cross that line w/ with my bosses wives who I really don't know. 

I'd agree with this unless you're inviting their husbands. If it's one of those mixed-gender-Jack-and-Jill showers and you're inviting the husbands because you know them and want to basically give them a +1, then yes you should invite the wives. Otherwise, I wouldn't invite them.

• Options
    imagediscobelle:

I wouldn't invite any of them unless they are friends that you spend time with outside of work related events.

I agree with this.

• Options

Wouldn't invite any unless I was friends with them outside of work. By this I mean they come over to hang out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"