Baby Showers
Options

I really don't want a baby shower

I know that friends and family want to celebrate and get together, and I am all for that. But whenever I have told my mother and sisters that I don't want a "shower shower" I get some very high-pitched "NO WE ARE THROWING YOU ONE!!"

DH and I just got married at the end of July, and the baby is due the end of August. I just feel like everyone just spent a bunch of money on us already, and I don't wanna do all that again. Plus, I feel super awkward opening presents in front of people.

Has anyone had or been to a shower that's doesn't have presents? How can you politely avoid that part, or is there anything fun you did in place of a shower? I'm really trying to weasel my way out of this one! 

BabyFruit Ticker
Blogging at nopurplewalls.wordpress.com

Re: I really don't want a baby shower

• Options
    Have a party after the baby arrives. Saying no gifts is rude but just make it about meeting the little one.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Since the point of a shower is to "shower" the mom (or parents) to be with gifts, you can't really have one without presents.  And IMHO not opening gifts at a shower is very rude.  A good compromise, as PP suggested, would be to have a party after the baby is born.  A farewell summer/meet the baby BBQ would be a nice way of celebrating without the focus on gifts.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not trying to spit on anyone's gift and throw it back at them. My thought process was, I had my bridal shower almost exactly a year before I am due to have a baby shower. I just feel uncomfortable asking for gifts, after we just did this whole thing. I don't think I am in any way opposing anyones generosity. I'm just not demanding it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blogging at nopurplewalls.wordpress.com
  • Options

OP- I understand how you feel. However, maybe just a little get together will make everyone happy. Something small and simple if that's what you want. Maybe at a nice restaurant? 

FI and I are engaged. Our wedding is set for September 8th of this year. We found out September 22, 2011 that we're expecting. However, we already own our own house and have furnished it and everything with all things new so I am not registering for things for the house for my bridal shower. It's at a winery and we'll have a nice dinner.

With that being said, people will buy you things no matter what but, like I said, it could put everyone at ease to have something simple and small to welcome you to mommy-hood and to make sure LO has the necessities. It means a lot more to people than you think.

Good Luck! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageFemShep:
    Since the point of a shower is to "shower" the mom (or parents) to be with gifts, you can't really have one without presents.  And IMHO not opening gifts at a shower is very rude.  A good compromise, as PP suggested, would be to have a party after the baby is born.  A farewell summer/meet the baby BBQ would be a nice way of celebrating without the focus on gifts.

I agree with this.  Just say "no" to the shower.  Let your family know that you appreciate their offer but you don't want to ask people to purchase gifts for you again.  IMO...a year is long enough between events...but it is your feelings that count.  Your family can host the meet the baby BBQ if they want to.  Most people will still brings gifts but unless they insist you don't open them in front of everyone.

• Options
    I say don't rain on their parade, just be thankful, show up when they want you to, smile and thank everyone for all of their effort. You'll probably all feel better about the whole thing and come out happy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"