January 2012 Moms
Options

I overreacted, but still...

Had a friend over Saturday night, she was holding Henry, I look up, and she has Henry's sookie in her mouth.  The back part, not the sookie part, but still.

I flipped the frig out.  First I said "Dude, I put that in MY mouth, you get cold sores and I don't, why would you DO that??"

Her response was "Well, I don't have one NOW!!"  To which I said "That goes in Henry's mouth, and I don't want him getting anything, he's a BABY!"  And she said "Well, I kiss him all the time!"

I put the sookie in my mouth like that all the time when my hands are full, so I guess she thought it was okay???  I'm his mother, it's not okay for anyone else to do it.  I wanted to snatch Henry from her hands and make her leave but instead I went stone-faced until she left.  

I'm ticked that she didn't apologize, she got defensive and still thinks it's okay. Yeah...guess who's not babysitting now?  I feel like I need to explain myself to her and make her see why it's not okay...she doesn't have kids and just doesn't get it.  I should just let it go, shouldn't I?

Btw, my husband was ticked about it too, but doesn't think I needed to yell at her and thinks I should "just get over it". 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I overreacted, but still...

• Options

I get that he's your baby and I wouldn't want someone else putting DD's paci in their mouth like that, but cold sores aren't really contagious unless she has one. I get them and the pedi just told us that I shouldn't be kissing her mouth or anything like that when I have one.

I think you just need to explain that you overreacted (which you agree you did) and that you weren't comfortable with someone else putting his paci in their mouth, cold sore or not. She probably got so defensive because you flipped out, she might apologize if you approach her about it in a less offensive way.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks, I apologized for flipping out but clearly stated that I wasn't comfortable with it.  She apologized and said that she crossed a line and if she does things that make me uncomfortable that I need to let her know.  Phew.

I'm just a first time mom...it's obvious hahaha. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not be happy with that either.  I was not happy when someone put their finger in my dd's mouth when she was less than a month old to suck on, and this is worse.
  • Options
    I freaked out about DH putting the pacifier in HIS mouth, not the back but the actual sookie part. I was pissed, he doesnt understand her immune system is different from hers and why in GODS name would you put your spit in her mouth? He said the same about kissing her, thats kisses not putting your mouth all on hers. GROSS and not ok with me. FTM or not I was not happy. DH doesn't get sick often but gets me sick from stuff he's exposed to... grrrr!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    I would have freaked out too. People without kids just don't 'get it.' They will someday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've totally been there - freaking out over something that - while not ok - did not deserve the intense reaction I had to it.  I have found most people are pretty sympathetic when I explain that I am a first time mom, sleep deprived, and incredibly nervous about my daughters care.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"