Upstate NY Babies

can I bump my whine up a day?

I feel like my body has failed me again.  I can't keep up with Aislinn and I'm giong to have to start supplementing at least one bottle a day until I can get ahead of her.  I KNOW it's not the end of the world, and Liam was formula fed from 3 months on, but I'm just so frustrated.  Mainly because I was home with Liam for the first 6 months, and I just gave up on BFing.  It's going so well this time, she switches back and forth from breast to bottle with no problem, I just can't seem to get my supply up. 

Re: can I bump my whine up a day?

• I'm sorry. That sucks a lot. Hang it there! Have you tried eating more oatmeal? I know this sucks, but can you wake up in the middle of the night to pump just to get another pumping in?

Whatever you decide to do, she's going to keep loving you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aww, that is frustrating.  I hate that bfing is so tied to feelings of guilt.  I would add in a pumping session if possible, but I know sometimes it's not.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Okay, so I have been struggling with supply and formula and all that jazz for 5 months... Here are some thoughts:

• Is A sleeping through the night? If she isnt waking in the middle of the night, then set your alarm an hour before you need to wake her to eat, and pump at home. When I pump first thing in the AM, I get around 6 oz. (when I pump at work between two-three sessions I can only get 6oz total for all of those pump sessions)
    • Have you tried Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (3 capsules of each, 3 times per day)
    • Oatmeal, water, etc.

My newest last resort is Domperidone... Im going to start this week. My shipment is due to arrive tomorrow... I can let you know how it goes.

Anyways, supplementing is not the end of the world... I was so mad about it, and guilty.. but O is doing okay now... he only gets one or two bottles a day and still nurses the rest of the time.

Dont stress it. Nursing does not have to be an all or nothing endeavor. Keep nursing and pumping for A, and if she takes a formula bottle, so be it. In the grand scheme of things, she will still be getting more BM than formula. So keep your head up - nothing to be guilty about.

• Oh M, I'm sorry you are feeling down about this and having supply issues.  BFing is sooooo hard.  The hormones and Mom guilt don't help.  Have you tried eating more oatmeal (I have a great recipe that you can do in the crock pot if you want it), drink lots of water, and maybe pump an extra time or let her nurse for comfort sometimes, skin-on-skin. 

If it doesn't work, don't feel guilty!  Formula is there for a reason and if you need to use it all will be ok, she'll be fed, happy and love you!

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • imageprncsstp:

Dont stress it. Nursing does not have to be an all or nothing endeavor.

Yes this is what I keep telling myself.  I just want to look down at my girls and yell, "what the F is your problem!?  do you job!"  haha! 

I've tried everything, oatmeal, fenugreek, mother's milk, drowning in water, watching my calories, etc.  It is what it is, and really i'm short about an ounce each day.  So hopefully giving her one bottle here and there will help me to get ahead of her a little bit.  Thanks for all the support girls!

• Question about oatmeal....I thought I read somewhere that the instant oatmeal doesn't have the same effect.  Is that the case?  What kind of oatmeal do you eat?
  • imagemeryltheresa:
    Question about oatmeal....I thought I read somewhere that the instant oatmeal doesn't have the same effect.  Is that the case?  What kind of oatmeal do you eat?

I've read that, too so I eat steel cut oats.  I use this recipe and it's pretty yummy (this is coming from someone who HATES oatmeal!)  I make it on Sunday nights and eat it each morning before work.

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Wegmans has some new steel cut oatmeal frozen breakfast tray things in the frozen section. They are pretty yummy... they are $1.99 a piece I think.
  • I'm so sorry M!  I have no advice for you because my girls didn't work either, but I think you are doing an amazing job even trying to keep up while working full-time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"