Upstate NY Babies

Cutting out artificial colors

Is hard! We found out B was allergic to red dye 40 and yellow 5 (skin issues). Since we've limited her ingestion of these dyes, her skin has cleared up about 90% and she's been sleeping like a champ. Until we found out the dye issue, I never looked at just how many products have red or other artifical colors. But here's my issue.

What are some good products that we can keep in the diaper bag for her to snack on that won't break the bank? I don't want to have to keep packing the fresh stuff if we need to go quick. I checked out the health food area in Wegmans and I have such a hard time paying 4-5$ for a snack food. Right now, it's pretty much goldfish and various crackers. I'm new to this, and it's taking me hours to shop b/c I have to read the labels for this.

Also, her favorite food is those breakfast fruit bars. All of the ones I looked at have artificial coloring. Is there any that don't that you know of?

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

Re: Cutting out artificial colors

• It's tough.. even most pickles have dye in them, it is ridiculous.  Pudding, chocolates, mac n cheese..

I would check out the Annie's snacks, they have cookies, crackers, goldfish type crackers (although Pepperidge Farm does use natural colors in their goldfish now, thank heaven).  My kids love Veggie Booty, maybe Veggie Straws too?

There are some brands that use natural food colors, but it depends what you're looking for and how much you are willing to pay.. like you basically said, it costs more for the healthier stuff.  Annie's makes dye-free gummies (I get them at Target), but there are other brands like Surf Sweets you can find on Amazon. 

Also at Target (and we get them at the grocery store) - Annie's mac n cheese (Arthur theme!) or Back to Nature mac n cheese - my kids love the bug (butterfly) theme or even the white cheese spirals.

A lot of yogurts are getting better about dyes too, like the little Danimal drinkables.

How about dried fruit or fruit pouches?  The Brother's All Natural fruit chips are at Walmart or TRU.  I get brands on Amazon... but it is easy enough to find dye free there.

I would, in general, focus on the natural foods part of the grocery store.  That would be your easiest bet, snack bars and all.

• Artic had a lot of good recommendations. Once you find products you like you can bilk buy off Amazon!
    Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I forgot to mention, that is basically the Feingold diet (no dyes/preservative type stuff).  I tried to look it up online but their guidebook is expensive, not sure how easy it is to google lists or get Feingold info for free (but you could look).
  • Just looking in our pantry at typical snacks for R that I toss in the diaper bag.....happy tot fruit/veggie pouches, teddy grahams (honey), and mum mums are some that don't have dyes listed. It is tough I can imagine! 

• I was in wegmans today and thought of you. The check outs with the candy have a wegmans brand fruit flats. I looked in the ingredients and it looked like all fruit and the coloring is carrot juice. They are pricey to eat often, but figured they would be a good diaper bag snack. (0.49 a piece) I think they are basically like a thick fruit roll up type snack.

• I knew someone with a red die 40 allergy growing up. I would say it wasn't as bad as someone I knew who developed an anaphylactic reaction to soy as a teenager. I dont have the recipe off hand but it is super easy to made homemade fruit leather chews at home. BJs has a lot of organic baby snacks too. Rice cakes or crackers might be  a good option too depending upon the age. Dried raisins and berries shouldn't have any added dye either. Cereal makes a great snack! 
  • Thanks ya'll. This was really helpful. I couldn't believe the food that had added color. Even some meats have red 40 added, yup b/c meat turns brown quickly so they put the dye in there. I'm just thankful she's a good eater and will eat almost anything I give her. So it could be worse I guess. She can have some but we want to limit the majority of the dyes. 

However, this manager at Wegmans told me that Trader Joe's don't use ANY artificial ingredients in their foods. He told me not to tell anyone he told me:) Yay, I'm going to have to shop in Pittsford. I hope it's slated to open soon. This will be a big help.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"