Parenting after 35

I lost my job yesterday :(

I've been on medical leave for 4 months.  My doctor just extended it another 3. I'm out of the realm of FMLA. They allowed the 4th month but 3 more was too much.  They said when I'm off of leave to call them back because they always have openings but crap.  Now I have to pay COBRA.  That's expensive. 

Im ok.  I didn't like the job anyways.  And was planning to go part time with them and get a job in a hospital again.  I was doing case mgmt from home and hated it.  I originally took the job because I could work from home. Turned out that it wasn't all from home and I had to bill 40 hours of work in addition to the actual work.  So I was actually working like 50-60 hours a week and only getting paid 40.

I just didn't need this right now.  We are having money problems as it is because disability isn't 100% of my pay.

Need thoughts and prayers to make it through this.   Thanks.  My stomach is in knots right now wondering how we are going to pay our bills      

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I lost my job yesterday :(

• Oh man, I'm so sorry! 

Legally, can they even do that????  I'd make a call to someone about that.. lots of lawyer groups will field general questions, or your state's Labor board.  Here in Colorado, we're a right-to-work state, so it is perfectly legal for a company to do that.  But it might be different where you live.

But if you look at the glass half full.. it sounds like it was time for a change.  This is just forcing your hand.  Now you can focus on getting a job you like with better hours and less stress.

• So sorry to hear this!

Basically, everything BrideBuddies said. It can't hurt to look into the legality of what they did. And ditto that this could be a glass half full situation. While the timing isn't ideal, this could be the push you need to focus on getting a job with better hours & less stress.

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto on what the others said. And maybe now is the perfect time to look for a job you like that's also more flexible. This time of the year is good for job searching, I've had some friends find new jobs since January. Good luck and chin up!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Oh man, I'm so sorry! 

Legally, can they even do that????  I'd make a call to someone about that.. lots of lawyer groups will field general questions, or your state's Labor board.  Here in Colorado, we're a right-to-work state, so it is perfectly legal for a company to do that.  But it might be different where you live.

But if you look at the glass half full.. it sounds like it was time for a change.  This is just forcing your hand.  Now you can focus on getting a job you like with better hours and less stress.

Thanx but I'm in California we are an at will job state. They don't even need a reason to let me go.  Although the timing is not ideal I'm confident something will come up. It just sucks right now.  Thankfully in California DS automatically has insurance until he is 5.  Due to the first five calif law. No child left behind.

In other news I'm going back to EI to have ds re evaluated. I was a bad mommy and never followed up with speech therapy.  I did last week and the ST told me since it had been so long since his eval with no progress. Maybe he would meet criteria for state funded intervention  this time.  So I am waiting for them to call me back. 

• Good luck finding a new, better job! 

• Oh, no!  I'm sorry!  I know it's a cliche, but when one door closes, another one opens.  I was laid off from my job a few years ago.  Like you, I wasn't happy there, but didn't have the motivation to find something else.  Getting laid off was the kick in the pants I needed.  I ended up finding a much better job where I made more money and was happier. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DH and I have just gone through both being laid off so I can sympathize with your fears.  It took awhile, but DH found something that he actually really likes doing and makes more money now they he has since leaving the army.  I found work, and although it is a crappy job that doesn't pay that well....it is a job, and I just had a recruiter call me for a position in my field that would be life changing for us financially.  So I am hopeful.

But as bad as things were we managed to get through it.  We cancelled anything that was non-essential (cell phones, cable, gym membership) to cut back and we made it through.  We had to apply for food stamps and use those for 2 months and that was really a life saver.

Good luck, I really hope that a new door opens for you very soon.

• I'm so sorry.  tpj that things work out well.  Left Hug

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I'm very sorry... I understand the worry and hope you find a new job soon. Plus I hope you're well soon.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • So sorry to hear, it stinks that you're in an at will state. Here you'd be put on LTD, not at full pay, but better than nothing (if you paid into it), or EI sick leave, but even that doesn't last forever. Something that fits right will come your way, keep your chin up. At least your ds is covered. COBRA sounds like a nightmare.
  • Sending you good vibes so you find a good job very soon!
  • I'm so sorry.
  • imagestever:
    I'm so sorry.

How are you 17 wks already.  ??? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"