C-sections

duramorph in the spinal?

I am extremely nervous about getting duramorph in the spinal afterwards. I have heard a broad range of opinions on it. I know that it doesn't work at all for 10% of the population, making it difficult for doctors to know if you need to have something else entirely or if it just haven't "kicked in" yet since many people also experience a delay between when the spinal stops relieving pain and the duramorph kicks in. I also heard it can make you itch like crazy and/or experience nausea and vomiting. The last thing I want is to vomit after having abdominal surgery. What did people who had the duramorph experience versus those who didn't?
Mrs. B Pregnancy Ticker

Re: duramorph in the spinal?

• I had morphine after and I was never nauseous, but I itched like crazy.The nurse gave me benadryl in my iv and that helped take the edge off but I was still itchy for an hour or two after the c/s. I also didn't like that I felt like I was in a fog.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had the duramorph in my spinal and it was great.  I experienced some very mild itching for about an hour while in recovery and my anesthesiologist claimed it was more likely from some fentanyl I received via IV while still in the OR.  Sure enough the itching subsided within an hour or two once the fentanyl was out of my system.  I was very comfortable pain wise for the first 20ish hours after surgery due to the duramorph.  I also had no nausea whatsoever.  I would definitely get duramporph again if I had another section.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the itching immediately after and they gave me benadryl which helped a lot and I was totally fine a couple of hours later.

I have had sureries in the past and I do get nausea so I always tell the anesthesiologist ahead of time so they can give me meds for it. 

If you do get nausea, tell them immediately and they can give you medicine to counteract it.  Some people do still throw up but ultimately it is all worth it for your LO. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had morphine with my first c-section and duramorph with my last one. I definitely prefer the duramorph. With the morphine I felt the pain more and it was very tough for me the first day. I also was very itchy and I did vomit after my c-section. With the duramorph, I felt great. I didn't even hurt (milding uncomfortable though) when they were pushing down my stomach to get the uterus to shrink. I would definitely want the duramorph again, it made me have a great first day and I truly enjoyed my son. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got it and it didn't work. It took the nurses until the next day to realize it and I was in horrible pain. I didn't know it didn't work for 10% but clearly there are some of us out there! No nausea though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Any spinal itself opens you up to increesed risk of nausea and vomiting.  I work in surgery and still aren't sure what I got last time nor do I care.  I trust my anesthesiologist since this is ht thy do. There are positives and negatives with anything u put in your body, period. 

Also there's a nation wide dura morph shortage right now so might not even be an option  

• imagetmjmeister:
    I had morphine with my first c-section and duramorph with my last one. I definitely prefer the duramorph. With the morphine I felt the pain more and it was very tough for me the first day. I also was very itchy and I did vomit after my c-section. With the duramorph, I felt great. I didn't even hurt (milding uncomfortable though) when they were pushing down my stomach to get the uterus to shrink. I would definitely want the duramorph again, it made me have a great first day and I truly enjoyed my son. 
    This was my experience exactly. I wish I would've had duramorph with my first now!
  • I had morphine after c-section, and I got nauseas and vomited 3 times.  They couldn't give me oral meds (percocet) while I was nauseas and vomiting.  The pain was tolerable, though.  It wasn't fun throwing up, but since I didn't eat anything since the night before, I was only throwing up liquid, and it didn't hurt.  
    m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

• I had duramorph in my spinal and I threw up twice right after my spinal, before my csection even started.  I didn't have much pain afterwards.  I did itch.  I kept rubbing my face without realizing it while I was in recovery.  They gave me benadryl to minimize the itching which helped some.
  • I had duramorph in my first epidural and then again this time around in my spinal. The first time I don't remember any effects maybe some minimal itching. This time around.. whole other story. I was itching like crazy. I kept rubbing my nose and by that night it was totally red and irritated. They gave me benadryl but it didn't do much. I was also throwing up anything that went in. I threw up 7 times in about 5 hours- mostly ice, water, saltines and one time two bites of toast. Let me tell you by about time 5 I was in tears I was so miserable. Luckily- it didn't really matter surgery wise because the morphine did give me complete pain relief. However, it really sucked because my baby was in the NICU so I was trying to get out of bed to go see her. Then when I finally did I threw up two times in there.. one of which being in front of one of my close friends, very embarrassing! I had figured since I had it the first time that I would be fine to have it again.. but apparently it's not the same all the time- maybe a higher dose or something? Anyway, it did make my first night and most of my second day really easy as I wasn't in any pain whatsoever. But.. my best advice- if you're still on the tail end of it and they offer you pain meds- take them! I tried to be a hero and just take motrin- I wanted to die by about 11 PM that night. Worst pain of my life!
  • imagetmjmeister:
    I had morphine with my first c-section and duramorph with my last one. I definitely prefer the duramorph. With the morphine I felt the pain more and it was very tough for me the first day. I also was very itchy and I did vomit after my c-section. With the duramorph, I felt great. I didn't even hurt (milding uncomfortable though) when they were pushing down my stomach to get the uterus to shrink. I would definitely want the duramorph again, it made me have a great first day and I truly enjoyed my son. 

Duramorph is morphine. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"