Philadelphia Babies
Options

Anyone delivered at Bryn Mawr?

I had a tour of the hospital and was not thrilled... looking for someone who delivered there / knows someone who did and what were their thoughts??

Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone delivered at Bryn Mawr?

• Options

Both of my kids were born there.

What were you not thrilled about and maybe I can elaborate. I had a perfectly fine experience both times.

I had a wonderful nurse with Chase- that REALLY went above and beyond and stayed with me for 2hrs helping me breath as I waited for my epidural (Anes. doctor was in emergency surgery)- I don't think I could have gotten through those contractions without her coaching.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a fine experience as well with my unplanned C-section, I was a transfer from the birth center. I was there for 5 days total. Some aspects were great and others not so much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I delivered at Bryn Mawr and had an awful experience.  They do not tell you this ahead of time, but if you go into labor on the weekend, only one doctor from all three practices is on call.  So I had a doctor from a completely different practice and she refused to see me until I was having issues pushing.  When I got there only two other people were in labor.  The doctor arrived shortly after me and and spent a lot of time with the other two patients because they went to her practice.  My family talked with their families in the waiting area and that is how I know this.  And the one woman was having her third child and was joking and laughing and having a good time with the doctor and I was having my first child, so this was all new for me.  She told me she was going to use the vacuum on me and gave me no choice.  And to top it off (it took my husband a year to tell me this) she almost dropped my daughter!  The first nurse I had was awful!  She was not supportive about bfing and actually took it upon herself to give my daughter a bottle.  My Mom and sister walked in during this and flipped.  You know it is bad when the president of the hospital comes in to apologize and personally called the doctor to tell her she was inappropriate.  She also gave us free meal tickets and parking tickets.  The rest of the time I had great nurses!  Obviously, this is just my experience.  I am going to deliver at Paoli next time.
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I delivered at Bryn Mawr for my first, I was also a transfer from the Birth Center. I thought the nurses were great (they are the ones that make the experience for you). I don't even remember the name of the OB who came in for the last few minutes and delivered my baby, she honestly played such a small role in a very long ordeal.

The facilities were ok, nothing great, but there is always a chance that you may have to share a room if it is crowded. That alone made me deliver at Lankenau for my second child. They have all private rooms and the nurses were also wonderful there....

• Options

imagelraley:
    I delivered at Bryn Mawr and had an awful experience.  They do not tell you this ahead of time, but if you go into labor on the weekend, only one doctor from all three practices is on call.  So I had a doctor from a completely different practice and she refused to see me until I was having issues pushing.  When I got there only two other people were in labor.  The doctor arrived shortly after me and and spent a lot of time with the other two patients because they went to her practice.  My family talked with their families in the waiting area and that is how I know this.  And the one woman was having her third child and was joking and laughing and having a good time with the doctor and I was having my first child, so this was all new for me.  She told me she was going to use the vacuum on me and gave me no choice.  And to top it off (it took my husband a year to tell me this) she almost dropped my daughter!  The first nurse I had was awful!  She was not supportive about bfing and actually took it upon herself to give my daughter a bottle.  My Mom and sister walked in during this and flipped.  You know it is bad when the president of the hospital comes in to apologize and personally called the doctor to tell her she was inappropriate.  She also gave us free meal tickets and parking tickets.  The rest of the time I had great nurses!  Obviously, this is just my experience.  I am going to deliver at Paoli next time.

Unfortunately I've heard more stories like this than positive experiences. 

• Options
    I did and had a great experience.  There is the risk of sharing a room, but they make every effort to avoid that.  The nurses were very nice and while I went in with a doc that was not mine, I had one of my own deliver my son.  Let's face it - the nurses are the ones who matter for they are the only ones you see.  The doc only appears at the VERY end. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Prior to delivering there I only heard great things about it but since then I've heard admixture of good and bad. My experience was so so. The L&D nurses were fabulous for me and I liked one of the maternity nurses but she had such a thickasian accent it was hard to understand her! Still she was super. Otherwise I was unimpressed and wished I had went to lankeau instead! I certainly don't feel it's a bad place, but if you have the option of another very good hospital like paoli or lankenau, I'd take that over BM. 
  • Options

imagelraley:

My OB at the time (Dr. Hirschman in KOP) told me right away that I may have a doctor from a different practice deliver the baby. Maybe they leave that up to the docs to tell their patients. Who knows.

Anyway, the only bad I can say is that you have to pay for parking at BM and I really did NOT like the lactation consultant.  She is their head one (I am blanking on her name). I had DS1 there in August 2009.

I had my DS2 at Paoli in September. The parking was free and the LC was wonderful!  Besides those two things, my experiences were pretty much identical.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    I delivered there with my son and I had kidney stones about 8 weeks before he was born so I was in the maternity ward for that as well. My experiences with both were positive and I will be delivering there again in April or May. The nurses were fantastic. And if you are going to breastfeed, The lactation consultant there is amazing. She is the only one, out of the pediatrician, and another lactation consultant I had come to my home that was able to recognize that my son had a posterior tongue tie and that was why he wasn't gaining weight well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"