April 2011 Moms
Options

Can I ask an embarrassingly dumb question?

Over on 9-12 someone posted a link to a hot topic thread on another BMB.  In it, the OP said that she got PG while she had an IUD and that her dr had removed her IUD after she tested positive.  And no one call bulllshit on this.  So, then I began to wonder...*is* it possible to get KU while you have an IUD??  I mean, anything is possible, right, and no BC is 100% effective...right?  Lord, the reason this is so embarrassing is that I have a copper IUD, so really, I should know.  Can someone please educate me? 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: Can I ask an embarrassingly dumb question?

• Options
    Yes, you still can but im sure the chances are slim to none or 99% just like any other birth control.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I remember from my mirena literature, the chances are 8/1000.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My niece had a baby last March. She had an IUD put in at her 6 week PP check. She is currently 6 months pregnant and due in May with her 2nd child. While it is pretty unlikely it is possible.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I thought one of the IUDs had a reasonably high failure rate. Not officially, but anecdotally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've heard a lot of stories about people getting pregnant with an IUD, including the teacher who has the room next door to mine.
    Mommy to Violet 4/4/2011 and Linnea 2/10/2013
    Anniversary
  • Options
    imageScout2005:

imageRunningGal900:
    I thought one of the IUDs had a reasonably high failure rate. Not officially, but anecdotally.

Agreed. I don't think they are as fail proof as people like to believe, to be honest.

This. From the women I know who have had issues with theirs it seems the problem is them moving from where they are supposed to be positioned to provide protection. Its like the pill- used properly its rate of success is pretty high, but there are a lot of things that can affect it

• Options
    A friend of mine got PG while using the Mirena and didn't find out until she was almost 20 weeks. =( The baby and her were fine and he's now almost 1 1/2 but she was really freaked out that it happened. If it happens it comes with tons of risks for the pregnancy in the beginning.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    My brother, who was born in 1980, was an IUD baby.  My mom conceived him while she had the IUD in place.  When she found out, it was too risky to remove and the IUD was in a safe place - so it stayed in place until his birth (he was born at 28 weeks though).  My brother has an IUD 'mark' on his forehead...Does that count as a birth mark?  ;-)  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"