Adoption
Options

Hilarious (and flame away if ya gotta)

So my husband and I work with college students. We were telling them that we're adopting from Uganda, and one of our students (who's black) said, "oh man, call him Black Ezra!"

Hmm... as I'm writing this, it occurs that maybe you had to be there. Anyway, everybody laughed and I made it clear that they can only call our future LO Black Ezra if they call DS White Ezra. Eventually we all settled on calling DS "WE" and our future LO "BE." 

...I hope it doesn't stick, but it was a great reaction to the news. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Application approved Dec '11
Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
Homestudy complete July 19
USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
Come home, baby A!

Re: Hilarious (and flame away if ya gotta)

• Options

Off topic... but I'd love to know more about your journey to Uganda.  Are you blogging?  What age child are you looking to adopt?  Are you doing it through an agency (if so, which one)? 

We support a school for AIDs orphans in Uganda so the mission in Uganda is dear to my heart. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

Well, our journey was pretty meandering. DH and I are not yet 27, so that ruled out a LOT of countries for us. I speak French, so I originally wanted to adopt from a country where one of the national languages is French, but (as far as I could tell) there weren't any we could actually adopt from. Then we were looking into Spanish-speaking countries since DH speaks some Spanish (and I could learn it pretty easily with my background in French), but we have a son who's one now, and we wanted to keep birth order, so we'd need to adopt a baby or young toddler next year.

We have friends who were missionaries in Uganda, and so we have ties in Kampala. Since it's possible DH may not get to stay the whole time we travel, he felt most comfortable leaving me in a country where we have connections. The fact that there are so many children who need parents in Uganda kind of sealed the deal.

We're working with Nightlight Christian Adoptions because we got good info on the baby's home they work with. The couple who run it clearly love Jesus and are committed to caring for the children.

We are able to have bio kids, so we'll probably have another bio LO after we adopt, but I wouldn't be surprised if our last child is a little older and also from Uganda.

So there's my life story! I do have a blog, but I'm just awful about updating it. https://mmuenich.blogspot.com 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for sharing! 
    I am so drawn to Uganda for reasons I've stated so I love watching/hearing stories.  While we want a third child, we aren't close yet... but I have spoken to Nightlight... I think in my heart, I believe that Uganda will round out our family.... eventually.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

I LOVE it! MH and one of his close friends (who happens to be black) have the same first name that starts with "E". They call themselves and each other "White E" and "Black E" and they joke about opening a bar one day called "WeBe's".

I think it is great to have relationships where we are able to make light of racial differences.

BE posted this on my FB wall when we adopted DD:

"Make sure you explain to DD that White E is her Dad and Black E is her favorite Uncle"

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards