Parenting after 35

My cousin just named his daughter.....

Else Grace.

Sister to Axel Jens.

I knew it'd be something Skandinavian sounding, but the spelling is throwing me off.  I would suspect it's Elsa, but Elsie?  Elise?  Even like the threat.. "OR ELSE!"

Sigh.....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My cousin just named his daughter.....

• Ooooh.... I just realized her name will be Else Nelson-XXX.  

Man, that's a tongue twister.

Hmmmm.

• Honestly, I am not sure how to pronounce that name. Does Else rimes with Grace?  Or does it sound something like L-zee?

ETA: Sorry for the double post. When I pressed the stop button on the browser, it obviously did nothing. 

• Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I am not sure how to pronounce that name. Does Else rimes with Grace?  Or does it sound something like L-zee? Or something else?
  • Well, I looked up the origin of the name and it came back with El-sa... that's what someone on the BabyName board said too.  

But knowing my cousin and his wife, they might be doing some more unusual pronounciation.  Because frankly, Elsa Nelson-xxx is hard on the ears a wee bit. 

But she's a darn cute little peanut... just like her brother, Axel.

• Pretty different. I know a Jens. It's a man and pronounced Yens. Good thing she's a cutie.

• imageBrideBuddies:

But she's a darn cute little peanut... just like her brother, Axel.

In that case it doesn't matter. She will warm up and cute up that name:) Otherwise that name sounds German to me, except that I would spell it Elsa rather then Else.
  • I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around Else Nelson-XXX.  Boy, that's harsh.

Plus, the word "else" is an adverb in my world.  Or a threat!!   OR ELSE!!! 

• like the name, but not with the last. Love the name Axel, though.  But she will warm up to it, and be super cute!
  • Interesting.  I'm with you...Elsa or Elsie would have been a better choice.  I have a friend who named his daughter Mable.  Spelled like table.   Isn't Mabel the correct spelling?  She had better be really pretty when she gets older to pull that off!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • See, I'm all about avoiding pronunciation confusion. School's hard enough without a name that people screw up. 
  • imagestever:
    See, I'm all about avoiding pronunciation confusion. School's hard enough without a name that people screw up. 
    Exactly! That's why I had no desire whatsoever to include my last name in DS's name. Whoever sees my name (awful spelling) looks at me if I had 2 heads and asks "how do you pronounce your last name?". I made sure we gave a simple name that most of the world will know how to pronounce it. And he has DHs last name, which doesn't cause anybody wonder how to pronounce it.

But, back to Else! :)) So it is the name that I am familiar with (Elsa), but just spelled uniquely:) 

• Update from the mamma's FB page...  

"ehl-seh...same "e" sound at beginning and end." 

So I guess that's just like Elsa?

And interestingly, she announced the name as Elsa Grace Lastname.. not Nelson-Lastname.   Maybe they've backed off that.. but I thought Axel had the double last name thing... I must be wrong there.

So it's not nearly as grating as I thought it was.  I actually like Elsa.. (spelled this way, tho!)

• Ah! I have a friend from Germany whose name is Suzanne, and you pronounce the "e" at the end.  She goes by Susi, because "Americans can't prononuce it correctly." At least Else will have an option to have a nickname.  
  • imagemwd:
    Ah! I have a friend from Germany whose name is Suzanne, and you pronounce the "e" at the end.  She goes by Susi, because "Americans can't prononuce it correctly." At least Else will have an option to have a nickname.  

Funny, since MY name is Suzanne.  But I pronounce it the bastardized American way! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"