Parenting after 35

Daycare question

I was looking into putting my DS in daycare for just one day a week so that I can have that day to run errands and also it would give him a chance to enjoy time with babies his age.

Could someone let me know if they send their children to daycare part-time what the going rate is per day? They don't seem to want to answer this question on the phone. Everyone wants you to come in for an appointment and I'd like to know this first before looking into this further.

TIA!

p.s. also if it's an in-home or private school please

Re: Daycare question

• Sorry Pearly, but it really varies depending on where you live as far as rates go.  I'd think every DCP is different in their rules, too.

I think you just need to bite the bullet and set up some appts.  But I'd probably schedule ones that friends/co-workers/relatives already use... see if you can pick their brains a little.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agreed, BrideBuddies. 

The center my DD attends doesn't offer part-time care. Actually, you can send your LO part-time, but you'll pay full-time tuition. The upside to that is, if you needed childcare on a day you normally wouldn't need it, it's there.   

It can't hurt to visit the centers. It won't be a waste of your time.

My DD goes to daycare full-time. I narrowed it down to 2 centers & visited both before deciding on the one DD goes to. My limited experience, the tours take place during the center's working hours; you get to see the DCP's in action, you get to see the kids, you get to see the center, they'll give you information packets about the center, and also in my experience - no hard sell. No one pestered me, no one tried to sell me. Both centers actually encouraged me to check out other centers before deciding. 

I was amazed at the difference between both centers I visited. The center we decided on is $220 a week; the center we didn't pick was $210 a week. I couldn't believe how much more that $10 extra gets for us. 

Definitely check in with friends/co-workers/relatives. That's how we came across our place (which we love!!). Good luck! 

Good luck! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSugarChick10:

Agreed, BrideBuddies. 

The center my DD attends doesn't offer part-time care. Actually, you can send your LO part-time, but you'll pay full-time tuition. The upside to that is, if you needed childcare on a day you normally wouldn't need it, it's there.   

It can't hurt to visit the centers. It won't be a waste of your time.

My DD goes to daycare full-time. I narrowed it down to 2 centers & visited both before deciding on the one DD goes to. My limited experience, the tours take place during the center's working hours; you get to see the DCP's in action, you get to see the kids, you get to see the center, they'll give you information packets about the center, and also in my experience - no hard sell. No one pestered me, no one tried to sell me. Both centers actually encouraged me to check out other centers before deciding. 

I was amazed at the difference between both centers I visited. The center we decided on is $220 a week; the center we didn't pick was $210 a week. I couldn't believe how much more that $10 extra gets for us. 

Definitely check in with friends/co-workers/relatives. That's how we came across our place (which we love!!). Good luck! 

Good luck! 

Thank you both! I'll definitely visit a couple near me. Someone told me about paying full-time even if he went part-time, I was hoping that was wrong but I couldn't get a straight answer from the centers.

Glad to know they won't pester me. It's been 16 years since I'ved needed childcare and I know things are very different. Back then I could put my daughter in childcare part-time and pay half, guess that's done with. That's a question I'll ask when I go.

Thanks again ladies!

• Most in my area require 5-day full-day committments.  My guess is that in-home family care would be your best bet. In my area it runs about 75 a day. Good luck
  • only full time care in our neck of the woods as well.  Good luck - I think your best bet would be a nanny share or an in-home with more flexibility?
  • When we learned DH was going to go to third shift once we went back to work after our leave was up, we considered going part time with daycare (we go to a daycare center and would never consider an in-home or individual)...then we found out that most daycares we were interested in would not take infants on a part time basis.  That said, I think the daily rate at our cente for those past the infant stage was around $50.
  • It is really going to vary place by place and center vs home.  I know many places either don't take part time.  I know the daycare centers where my kids have been, the part time rate is really expensive and in my opinion, not worth it.  My kids were there full time and when I looked at the possibility of dropping down to 4 days and adjusting my work schedule, it was crazy high for 4 days.  I don't even know if they would offer only 1 day.  I know a lot of places want at least 3 days even if they are part days due to staffing issues.  Have you looked into the moms day out type of places?  You might have better luck finding someone who watches a few kids in their house than at a center or to see if you can do a few part days vs 1 full day.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • At our DC, part time is one cost and it's for 3 days a week.  That was pretty typical of the DC in our area.  I think it's about $100 per week, but I'm not sure.  I wonder if you could find a sitter  instead of a facility.  GL

• imagePiranha54:

At our DC, part time is one cost and it's for 3 days a week.  That was pretty typical of the DC in our area.  I think it's about $100 per week, but I'm not sure.  I wonder if you could find a sitter  instead of a facility.  GL

Can I say your daughter's eyes are absolutely beautiful? Because they are.

I didn't even go to the school.  They bugged me all weekend it turned me off.  After finding out about my new schedule and the fact that I will have to travel, I decided that an in home nanny would be best. They even walk dogs! LOL! That way she could travel with us.

• Some places require only full time.  I paid $45 per day with my little guy after finding someone who would do a few days per week.  Good luck!  I prefered in home daycare.
    I was married June 16, 2007 Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"