Georgia Babies

Anyone have acid reflux or had it when you were pregnant?

So, all of a sudden I have acid reflux. It's totally random and I've never had an issue before, but I have been miserable this past week. I saw my gastro today and he is doing an endoscopy next Tuesday just to check things out. He also prescribed me Aciphex, which is in the same family as Prilosec. He gave me the Aciphex because he knows I'm going to be trying to get pregnant and he claims it is safe to use during pregnancy if I need to stay on it.

I was just wondering if anyone takes or has taken any meds for acid reflux when you were pregnant or TTC. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have acid reflux or had it when you were pregnant?

• Boy do I!  Other than being pregnant I have never had acid reflux before.  My OB told me that Zantac is safe so I end up having to take it at least every other day now that I'm in my last trimester.  I was just fine for the first two trimesters, but this last one is rough (and it was when I was pregnant with my daughter, too.)

photos by Jody Lynn Photography

• I had it so bad yesterday I wanted to cry.  Not sure if it is related to this pregnancy or not, but it sucks.  All I had was tums and pepcid.  Neither worked.  Hope you find some relief.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I started having it when I was about 6 months pregnant with Owen. I took a prescription for the rest of the time. I can't think of the name of it. I've already started taking Prilosec with this pregnancy and will be asking for a prescription today at my OB visit. I took Aciphex years ago for an ulcer I got from some pain killers and it was great.  I hope it helps you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, yes, yes!  I have never had it in my life, only when pregnant then and now.  I actually started having these crazy burps just days before my BFP and thought that was it and sure enough, it just got worse.  I used to take only Tums but at my 16 week appt I asked what else I could take since those only give relief for a few minutes and I'd heard others say you could get something better.  I think I'm taking Prevecid now.  It's supposed to be once a day but I try to limit everything as much as I can, just don't like taking a lot of meds if I don't need them, and I found that every other day is working for me.  Not that much of a difference but still.  I can't say enough how happy I am to be on this now and really wish I had known my last pregnancy.  I sleep so much deeper because I don't get uncomfortable.  Also, knock on wood, I have not been getting up at night since taking it. I think since I'm not waking up from the reflux I can sleep deeper and not feel like I have to get up.  I am the type of person, even when not pregnant, that when I wake up if I have the urge at all it's hard for me to ignore and go back to sleep. 
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had it (along with hyperemesis). I took Zantac 150 up to twice per day and slept on a wedge pillow. It sucked :(

I have a friend whose gastro told him to take a TBSP of apple cider vinegar (Bragg Organic) to help with his heartburn and it helped him better than any of the prescription meds he tried.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I take Prevacid.  I was told by my OBGYN not to take it in the first trimester but after that it was ok.  I just took tums during the first trimester.  I have found great relief with it and found that it works best when taken in the morning.  While I was pregnant I also slept on two pillows which helped some.  Good luck!
    photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I've been on several different ones since college (Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac, etc).  The one thing I noticed, particularly with Prilosec, is that I got headaches and had to up my water intake with it.
  • I went to the OB today and they prescribed Protonix. This is also what I took when I was pregnant with Owen and couldn't remember the name yesterday.
  • I have had it for the first time in my life since about 20 weeks. I take Zantac 75 mg up to twice a day and Tums if it is really bad. I am sorry that you are dealing with this, it is very unpleasant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • That was the worst thing I had with both of my pregnancies!  I ate tums like they were candy and took prilosec.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"