November 2011 Moms
Options

HOW LONG IS THE BABY STOP DRINKING FORMULA?

HI, I WANT TO KNOW HOW LONG IS THE BABY STOP USING BABY FOMULA AND BREASTFEED? WHEN CAN I START FEEDING THE BABY WITH THE BABY FOOD? THANK YOU AND HOPE TO HEAR SOME OF YOU GUYS ADVICE. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HOW LONG IS THE BABY STOP DRINKING FORMULA?

• Options

Baby food should start at about between 4-6 months, and should be a very slow transition. I'd say you can stop feeding formula at about one year old.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc#articlesection2

• Options
    I agree with PP, it should be anytime between 4-6 months.  Some mom start earlier but it is not recommended.
    ~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    oh my goodness OP why are you yelling???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    breastmilk or formula will be the main source of nutrition until 1 year of age.  solids are introduced at about 6 months and in the beginning it's just a taste here and there for practice and it's in addition to, not in replacement of breastmilk or formula

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thx you for your info. cause my son born premature, he has a hard time with drinking liquid such as bottle feeding breast milk and formula until now. the speech therapy suggest us to do the formula thickening with the cereal but not thickening with breast milk. most of the time we try only liquid without thickening, my son Aiden keep spit out or throw up. 
  • Options

Speech therapy? Isn't he way too young for that?

Ask your pediatrician. He might need a gentler formula than what he's on.

And no need to YELL btw.  

• Options
    is it ok to feed the baby longer with formula than one year of age? is formula thickening count as solids food? 
  • Options

my baby in the NICU for almost a month after the labor. the main reason is the problem with feeding. he won't take any liquid form such as breast milk and formula cause they hear the sound when he tried drinking it. the doctor and speech therapy said that it seem like sometime he drank the BM and little of it almost go through to his air way. they even do MRI a few time too. my son pediatrician said the same thing as the doctor at children hospital. 

excuse me, but why do you said i YELL? i don't get it... can you explain pls. 

• Options

imagejennysweeties:
    is it ok to feed the baby longer with formula than one year of age? is formula thickening count as solids food? 
    Yes. There are even special toddler formulas. Generally kids over 1 can also have regular cows milk and most solid foods in small amounts. 

I don't think adding rice cereal to formula counts as solid food. My pediatrician suggested it when baby was 1 month old but says not to start solids like baby food til 5 months or so.

Are you in the US? 

• Options
    imageMrsBini10:

imagejennysweeties:
    Yes. There are even special toddler formulas. Generally kids over 1 can also have regular cows milk and most solid foods in small amounts. 

I don't think adding rice cereal to formula counts as solid food. My pediatrician suggested it when baby was 1 month old but says not to start solids like baby food til 5 months or so.

Are you in the US? 

all of this, except that, yes, thickening formula with cereal does count as a solid

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    YES, i am in the usa. i use similac sensitive formula for aiden. 
  • Options
    ok, thank you. we think of letting Aiden try to bottle feeding him with breast milk and formula only when he turn 4 month old. cause his speech therapy and his pediatrician still in the 50/50 area of letting him drink them right now. so we listen to them and wait until he turn 4 months old. then try it one more time to see if Aiden still have problem. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"