Postpartum Depression
Options

Zoloft

So I don't currently have ppd, I just had a miscarriage, but this board was really helpful when I had ptsd after having dd. After I had dd, I did take zoloft, but the minimum strength, and only for a couple of weeks, because I wanted to ttc and the benefits didn't outweigh the risks, for me at the time.

Anyways, I have ocd, mainly obsession issues, I can't get over things, and think about them constantly.  So I decided to go back on zoloft after having my miscarriage, since I know I won't be able to think of anything else, and I am depressed and anxious.

But my ob started me on 50 mg.  

My question is what sort of side effects didn't you have starting zoloft?  I have been experience some things this week, and I am not sure if it is due to the zoloft, or simply emotions from lossing the baby.  I may start just taking half a zoloft each day for a few weeks, so I can get used to it.

Thanks for the help.  

Re: Zoloft

• Options

First of all, let me just say how sorry I am for your loss. 

I took Zoloft when I first was pg, because my psychiatrist said it was the safest of the drugs. I will tell you, I was a mess. I don't know if it was the Zoloft working or not working, but I did not do well at all. For example, I beat my bedroom door with a plunger. I have never, ever felt like that before. When I finally went to my OB with these problems, she referred me to a MFM doctor who managed my meds and got things straightened out (I went back on the Effexor I had been taking pre-pg). 

However, I cannot imagine how many emotions you are experiencing. I really think talking to your doctor would be the best bet. Since your loss, your needs have certainly changed.  Perhaps this medication simply isn't working anymore (I have had that happen too, sometimes they just stop working), or maybe it isn't right for you anymore.

I wish I could be of more help, but I am sending good thoughts your way, and I do hope you get things straightened out with your meds. Good luck :) 

• Options

When I had a misscarriage it was emotionall and hormonal hell. I was not on meds at the time. But I was picking fights with DH, loosing my temper at work, crying when I ran out of sugar, and obsessivly cleaning the house... (literally scrubbed the kitchen floor with an old toothbrush at 3am)

On zoloft for PPD, my side effects have been mild. I noticed for the first week I was very tired, and didn't feel any change emotionally yet. About day 5 I was giddy, overy happy in an artificial way. After a couple days I balanced out.

check your dose amount, I was under the impression Zoloft only came in 100mg pills so you would be cutting them in half anyway if your on 50mg

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKristine Schilling:

When I had a misscarriage it was emotionall and hormonal hell. I was not on meds at the time. But I was picking fights with DH, loosing my temper at work, crying when I ran out of sugar, and obsessivly cleaning the house... (literally scrubbed the kitchen floor with an old toothbrush at 3am)

On zoloft for PPD, my side effects have been mild. I noticed for the first week I was very tired, and didn't feel any change emotionally yet. About day 5 I was giddy, overy happy in an artificial way. After a couple days I balanced out.

check your dose amount, I was under the impression Zoloft only came in 100mg pills so you would be cutting them in half anyway if your on 50mg

My dose is 25 mg. Zoloft worked great for me for about two months. Now I feel suicidal and constantly depressed and anxious so I have an appt for Tuesday. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am in your situation.  Got on zoloft after a loss.  I am also on 50mgs.  When I was pregnant I was taking 25mgs.  My OB said it is safe to take while TTC and during pregnancy.  Yet I see those commercials.  How ever I have to do what is best for me and being on the pills is better for me then not being on them.  I was a different person with out them.

My side effects have been excessive thirst, being more tired, how ever I am able to get off the sofa during the day and do things, to where before the meds I just loafed around.

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am sorry for your loss.

The only side effect I remember from the Zoloft when it was prescribed for my PPD was complete loss of libido.

Trying to conceive #2 since Oct. 2008 BFP 6/14/11, 7/5/11 - Gestational Sac measured 7 weeks 6 days, Baby measured 5 weeks 6 days, No Heartbeat, 7/11/11 - Missed Miscarriage confirmed, 7/18/11 - D&C
  • Options

I have been on and off of Zoloft a few times and the side effects when I first started included mild diarrhea, weight loss (a couple pounds) and some slight clenching of jaw. These are nothing compared to the side effects of some other meds - one reason why Zoloft is so commonly prescribed as it is very tolerable by most and considered safer than many other drugs because it has been researched very well.

Keep in mind that these side effects all go away after a couple of weeks. Zoloft has really helped me with depression and anxiety. Good luck!!!!   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"