Military Families
Options

Think before you speak...

Anyone seen this blog post yet? WOW...

(If anyone can make this a clicky that would be appreciated...) 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aHKw2dTjuCgJ:airbornewife814.blogspot.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Munchkin born 11/22/11
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Think before you speak...

• Options
    I saw a reference to something along these lines on FB by military spouse magazine. I'm not very moved by it and I don't really get the "WOW" aspect of it. For the most part, it sounds like someone who's pretty tired of people using the incorrect terminology. DH is a marine, he'd be pretty offended if I described myself as an Army Wife. Also, I don't  really like it when people refer to him as a solider. It just doesn't make sense. Two totally different things. However, for some reason, in the civilian world people think military and most often assume and/or say Army. I get a bit tired of correcting people when it comes to DH's job as well, but not quite to this point. I really don't like the tone of the parts where it sounds as if she's comparing the jobs of the Gaurd and the Army. I know they are completely different, and she makes it seem as if she's absolutely respectful of Guard life; however,  I found it sounded a bit competitive and abrasive.
  • Options
    I know several men in the National Guard (Nebraska, Kansas, and Iowa) that are full time members.  When they come home they come home from their deployments and tours in Iraq and Afghanistan they don't go back to civilian life.  They still have to put on their uniforms everyday and go to work at the posts. They are still at every beck and call of the government.  It's not a part time (1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year) job for everyone, because someone still has to run that branch even when the average guardsmen are working their normal civilian jobs.  So, I want to know if she would consider these men (the full time members of the National Guard, that still put on their uniforms and report for duty every day) soldiers...or not?  By her definition of what a soldier is, they fit the description, but I still doubt she would, simply because their paycheck comes from the state instead of the federal government,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJoie80:
    DH is a marine, he'd be pretty offended if I described myself as an Army Wife.

Not even close to the same thing. She said Guard members aren't even Soldiers. In fact, Guard members were Soldiers before there was an US Army. 

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Options
    I think it's a 'wow' reaction because she's such a contradiction. She acts like she deserves the title of Army Wife just because her husband is active duty and yet 1) she hasn't even been married for a year, 2) she hasn't PCS'd, 3) She hasn't lived on a "real post" 4) she hasn't experienced a deployment as an Army wife (deployments are different when dating vs married). Also, she makes a comment about how you shouldn't wear your husband's and yet there's a picture of her wearing her husband's uniform all undone to show off her baby bump...
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageRosebud2587:
    Also, she makes a comment about how you shouldn't wear your husband's and yet there's a picture of her wearing her husband's uniform all undone to show off her baby bump...

I noticed that too and thought it was kind of odd.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options

So what do I call my husband who is a member of the NG? He missed our first anniversary and will miss the third because of deployments. He didn't get four years in between. He was also a marine for eight. Our marriage has been spent more apart than together....I'm really offended by her post and would like to tell her so!

I can't see comments, is that just me or is it really gone?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageShannda20:

So what do I call my husband who is a member of the NG? He missed our first anniversary and will miss the third because of deployments. He didn't get four years in between. He was also a marine for eight. Our marriage has been spent more apart than together....I'm really offended by her post and would like to tell her so!

I can't see comments, is that just me or is it really gone?

I agree!  DH is a  member of the NG, and between schools and deployment, we've spent about half of our married life apart as well!  DH wasn't AD before he joined the Guard, but when he puts on the uniform, his branch tape doesn't say "National Guard", it says "US Army".  He is a soldier - he may not have to put on the uniform every day when he's not deployed, and we may not live on/near base, but he's just as deployed as any AD soldier.  He's still missing important holidays, anniversaries, and 2/3 of our LO's first year.  I understand that NG families have much different experiences with the military than AD families, and I completely respect that - when DH isn't deployed, we do live a largely civilian lifestyle, aside from drills, AT, and schools, but he's still a soldier. 

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:

imageJoie80:

Not even close to the same thing. She said Guard members aren't even Soldiers. In fact, Guard members were Soldiers before there was an US Army. 

My understanding of the term solider is that it's pretty specific to the Army. Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea.

• Options
    What an ignorant twatwaffle.  I tried to make a comment but it says she deleted her blog.  That sucks.  People like that make me sick.  While the members of the National Guard, Federal Army, Marines, Air Force ect... are over seas, her husband is safely behind a desk as a recruiter.  It doesn't make him better than any one else.  I'm sad to see the blog removed.  I would have liked to have seen the outcome.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJoie80:

imageJoie80:

My understanding of the term solider is that it's pretty specific to the Army. Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea.

It is. The National Guard is part of the Army.  

• Options
    imageLace&Josh:
    imageJoie80:

imageJoie80:

It is. The National Guard is part of the Army.  

Yes Got it! Sounds like I need to do some homework.

ETA: Now I remember the commercials. Army National Guard! You Can!

• Options
    Just a g-wiz, there is also the Air National Guard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"