Postpartum Depression

Is it back?

Hello ladies!

This is the first time i posted on this board. I usually just lurk. I had my son 7 weeks ago. Around 3 weeks pp i noticed i probably had PPD so i called the dr and was put on zoloft. It worked great and i felt normal again and could care for my baby better. After a few weeks i kept forgetting to take it. I felt good and didn't feel anxious or anything so i figured i would be fine not taking the pills anymore.

Lately I have been feeling very irritable and crabby. I snap at my husband and even my poor son when he fusses. He has been very fussy lately and i just feel like he is never happy and I'm just so tired of the crying. Its even gotten harder to get up during the night to feed him. I just want to go back to sleep. Could the PPD have come back or could this just be from lack of sleep? I just don't want to be a slave to the zoloft my whole life! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is it back?

• I know how you feel about the "slave" thing... I also refused to take meds, then time went by and I still did not feel any better, I am on prozac and I also thought I could take it for a few weeks... the thing is that, in order to "get" better, you need to take therapy...

And it takes time... I dont know how much time, I just know that it does not get better on its own, God Bless!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • you will not be a slave to Zoloft your whole life. However, it takes a while for your body to balance those hormones back out. Go back on the Zoloft, stay on it steady for a while.. Like until your Dr says it is o.k. to start weaning off it.

One of the side effects Zoloft has is a severe crash if you stop cold turkey. You had just started to feel better. It can be dangerous to go on and off antidepressants like that. By stopping the medication without weaning off you put yourself in danger of PPD relapse as well as a more severe depression. Let the medication do it's job for a while so that you can get balanced back out. And make sure you start seing a therapist as well.

Yes, your crankyness could be from lack of sleep. Or it could be your body telling you it is not time to quit the meds. Call your Dr o.k?

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKristine Schilling:

you will not be a slave to Zoloft your whole life. However, it takes a while for your body to balance those hormones back out. Go back on the Zoloft, stay on it steady for a while.. Like until your Dr says it is o.k. to start weaning off it.

One of the side effects Zoloft has is a severe crash if you stop cold turkey. You had just started to feel better. It can be dangerous to go on and off antidepressants like that. By stopping the medication without weaning off you put yourself in danger of PPD relapse as well as a more severe depression. Let the medication do it's job for a while so that you can get balanced back out. And make sure you start seing a therapist as well.

Yes, your crankiness could be from lack of sleep. Or it could be your body telling you it is not time to quit the meds. Call your Dr o.k?

This is pretty much the best advice I can think of as well.

Think of it this way, it's kind of like caffeine. You start pulling all nighters and you get super cranky because your body is so tired. You do a few of those super-energy-caffeine shots for a few days and you feel kind of on track. Your life doesn't change but you decide you don't need to jolt your system anymore. Suddenly your body is jonesing for the drug you were putting in your system that was helping it feel better. You're even more tired, all the time now, and more cranky than before. As people know, you won't end up being a slave to caffeine your whole life, but quitting cold turkey always has health risks with any drug.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"