Stay at Home Moms
Options

S/O Poll: Do you spank? Why/Why not?

2»

Re: S/O Poll: Do you spank? Why/Why not?

• Options

Not happening in my family. I feel like I would discipline similarly to what Super Nanny recommends - "calm down corner" or "lose what you like" depending on age- when we get to that point.

Hope- maybe this should be your last post on discipline for awhile? Since you see how everyone feels now?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagepenguingrrl:
    imageHope2Have:

Well, I think we did very good, no drama over spanking? :o)

I don't know for sure what I'll do, Hadley is only 6 months old. I do know that we were spanked as kids (me MUCH more than my sister b/c I was strong willed to say the least). Looking back I do think it was probably the only thing that would have worked for me... I was pretty rotten. Even my babysitter who is an absolute saint, kindest woman I know spanked us when it was needed. It was always a process, "talk to us first, she would sit down, have us come over to her, she would paddle us, explain again, then hugs" and it really was very effective for us there (hardly ever got spanked there, and by the way... she really was like a 2nd mom to me, stayed there over night, all weekend etc my whole life), I don't think she spanked all the kids that went there, just "her" kids.

Anyways, I also see my close friend who spanks their children rarely but when needed. Never out of anger, the child always knows it is coming (hate to see a parent just start swatting a child without talking first) and talking afterwards. For them, it is very effective as the kids are so respectful and well behaved. 

I'm not against it if Hadley's behavior gets out of control (i.e. she is biting me when I try to hold her hand, running in front of traffic, and being rebellious daily).

I don't judge others who do/don't choose to do it (unless they're being abusive which IMO isn't spanking at all so I don't combine the two), just wondering what others choose to do. 

If a babysitter, or even my mother or MIL, ever did that to my child I'd call child services on them so quickly. While I don't think one swat on the bottom for dangerous behavior from a parent is abuse, anyone else hitting a child is absolutely abusive and they would never see that person again.

And I constantly get compliments on how polite, respectful and well-behaved my children are. I give them one look and they know to cut out whatever they're doing. This post absolutely implies that those who don't spank don't discipline and I assure you time out or taking away a toy or blankie are far more effective than hitting my child.

I understand.. but you have to know, everyone around me spanks... I only know 1 other mom who doesn't, and she lives hours away. Seriously, everyone I know does... not saying that it is right or wrong.. .just the way it is here. My babysitter/2nd mom is the best lady I have ever knows, she would die before abusing a child, ever. And among the hundreds and hundreds she kept over the years, I was probably among the toughest to discipline, and I rarely got spanked there. I just didn't want to tarnish her name (even though I didn't use her name, lol). She is really truly a saint... love her dearly.

IF we spank which I don't know for sure what we'll do as she is still a baby, and I believe that lots of kids won't/don't require it... but IF we do at some point choose to, we will be the only ones to do so, ever. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageamy052006:

imageand now for something completely different:
    OMFG. OP, you have been here long enough to see a bazillion discipline and behavior posts. You really didn't know how the majority chose to discipline their children? BS

Thank you!  It's not like there were any shockers.

I am pretty sure if you gave me a list a screen names, and asked who did or did not spank, I would nail about 80%. 

Lol. I want to play that game too.
  • Options
    imagescatteredtrees:

I tried to resist, but the force was too strong. 

I strongly doubt many pro-spanking parents would ever admit to spanking because being crucified on TB is no way to spend a Wednesday afternoon. 

Now, let's talk about vaccines and ERF and breastfeeding. 

This!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't see how taking the time to think and consider how to discipline a child is considered lazy.  You may not agree with spanking, but it doesn't mean a parent is lazy. I just don't understand that connection.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"