January 2012 Moms
Options

breastfeeding questions (repost from 0-3)

Hi all,

A few questions re: breastfeeding.  One--is anyone NOT experiencing that "let down" feeling?  I don't really feel anything in either breast when she starts nursing. I know milk is coming out because I can hand express it, but there's no tingling sensation or anything else that I've heard let down described as.

Also, my boobs are rarely engorged (I gave birth 1 week ago).  They pretty much feel soft all the time. Is that normal?  Anyone else not feeling that "rock hard" feeling?

How often are your LOs nursing?  My daughter just started waking up every hour and half to two hours at night (about 2-3 hours during the day) and nursing FOREVER.  She spends like 20 minutes per breast!  How do y'all know when they are finished feeding? 

Lastly, what do y'all do during the day with the babies?  I've been spending a lot of time on the couch nursing and watching TV/reading...feels slightly indulgent? I mean, I know we're working hard keeping these babies fed and happy, but I feel like I should be doing something else too...maybe that's just the Type A personality coming out.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice!  FTM here and I have no idea what I'm doing lol. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: breastfeeding questions (repost from 0-3)

• Options

Hello! FTM as well, and BF was really hard at first. I really did not think I would make it, but it gets much easier, and you grow more and more proud of yourself.

For me personally, I don't feel a letdown while she is feeding, and believe me she's getting enough to eat. I think this feeling can be different for everyone and I don't worry about it.

You may not have the rock hard feeling this soon since your supply is still becoming substantial, and may not feel it at all ever if you are EBF and feedings are only a couple hours apart. I only experience this when it has been over three hours since feeding or pumping. I usually only get it after I pump enough for my H to takeover on a feeding and let me sleep for a few hours. Trust me, you're not missing out on anything good because by that point they hurt and you are most likely leaking everywhere.

My LO will nurse for HOURS at a time. Beware of clusterfeeding! I know she's done eating when she seems really relaxed, her hands are unclasped, and when I try to pull the nipple out, she doesn't immediately suck it back in but lays there with her mouth gaping open fast asleep.

I completely understand about being productive. I feel like I've had all these weeks off work and what do I have to show for it? Well, a really well-fed baby. I had a whole list of things I wanted done in my home before I went back, and I don't even want to think about it anymore because it's not going to happen. Today she frustrated me because she wanted to feed every 30 minutes and I was trying to make dinner, do laundry, and other chores. Maybe check into purchasing a sling that will allow you to be mobile while feeding? I have one, but it does not fit and I'm contemplating getting another one.

I don't know if I have any real advice, but I'm right there with you! I lurk on the breastfeeding boards a lot to find answers for my questions. It also feels good to read posts on there for encouragement. It has helped me a bunch!

Good luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would +1 what PP said (summed up nicely!) and reiterate: 25min at the breast is nothing, just don't short a nursing session if you can help it. I would also tug on my boob and if the nipple popped out and DS was sleeping/didn't care, he was done...but being so young he fell asleep while nursing constantly so I had to jiggle him to keep him awake!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't experience the let-down feeling at all, but I have heard it may not start for weeks. Or I may never feel it!

My breasts were really engorged from about day 4-10. They've since evened out, and they rarely feel rock hard anymore. I am assuming they've started to regulate how much milk they need- maybe yours just did it more efficiently!

DD is nursing every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3 1/2-4 hours at night. She spends about 20-35 minutes on one side (I usually only offer one breast since she falls asleep at that point). Like the others, I pull my nipple out of her mouth- if she starts sucking again, she's not done. But most of the time she just lays there with her mouth wide open...

I hang out on the couch, watch TV, read, Bump, etc. I am not trying to be super woman yet. I figure I'll try out some chores next week after we've settled into a routine (DH just went back to work on Monday, so I am still getting used to this "single parent" thing). 

DD 1.18.2012
  • Options

OP--I am right where you are in terms of not having a let down feeling or engorgement. My LO is only six days old and I have had some hardness but nothing super intense. My little guy is also feeding every 2-3 hours day and night.  Yesterday was the first day that I felt awake enough to start wondering about productivity. It does feel indulgent but since my DH is still working (mostly from home) I am handling all the night hours so I figure my body needs really low key days to stay strong. 

I am having some frustrating latching issues that are resulting in very sore nipples..ouch! Have made contact with some lactation consultants and hoping to get an in-home appointment to help remedy the situation.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ditto everyone else.  my baby cluster feeds for hours and hours in the evening.  She can spend up to an hour on just one boob.  (I don't switch her during feedings, I just switch at each new feeding).  She eats every three hours at night and then cluster feeds for two to three or even five hours in the AM and PM before after sleeping.  Then every two to three hours during the day.  My boobs never feel engorged and I don't feel a let down either.  So, far she's made it back up to her birth weight but they want to see her over her birth weight so we have to go back.  I also felt a little guilty about doing nothing all day but bf and watching tv.  But, hey, the most important thing I have to do right now is get bf right.  
  • Options

FTM here as well...

I only felt really engorged when my milk first came in - now I get a "full" feeling. I'm not rock hard but after I have BF/pumped I do feel a bit softer.

I dont get the let down feeling when I am BFing LO however when I pump I get the feeling. IDK what the difference is between the two but yeah...

I nurse her whenever she wakes up from a nap and starts her "I'm hungry cry". The I'm hungry cry is different than an I'm bored so I am going to cry. I nurse her till she seems done. She will start to play instead of eat when she is done. Sometimes its 10 mins sometimes its a half an hour. But she doesnt eat every 2-3 hours. She will go in stretches of 4-5 hours occasionally and when she does, I pump every two hours. And at night she can go 6-7 hours - I still wake up to pump.

What do I do... I honestly sit home and watch movies almost all day. I havent been cleared to work out yet ( I had a c/s) so I cant do much right now. I go on little walks and play with my dogs and clean my house and make DH dinner but mostly... I watch movies. I have a Blockbuster right behing my house and I really really get my monies worth of their Blockbuster pass - I probably exchange my movied 3-4 times a day!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"