Baby Showers
Options

Twin Baby Shower

So I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on this.

I have a 17 month old baby boy and we're now expecting twins this August.

I have some family/friends who want to throw us a shower as we will definitely need some additional things what with the addition of two little ones to our family.

The only issue is that I've always understood that there's a 1 time shower rule. Meaning, you get one baby shower and then after that it's sort of taboo to have another one thrown in your honor.

Of course we'd love another shower, but I just don't know what to think.

I've heard that there are exceptions to the 1 shower rule.

For instance... if you have many years between babies or if they're different sexes.

I just don't know if having twins would be considered an exception? What do you think?

From what I'm told this time around the invite list would probably be limited to family and/or close family friends.

For the record, we don't expect a shower at all. 

Re: Twin Baby Shower

• Options
    This is just me, but I think labeling it an actual 'shower' might put some people off.  I totally get that you aren't expecting a shower and it is so sweet that you have people who would like to throw you one, but I do believe in the whole you only get one shower guideline.  Could you set it up more as like a party?  I know it might just come down to semantics, but for me I wouldn't be as happy to go a shower as I would just a party and take a gift for a friend in your situation.  Are you thinking about registering for the stuff you need?  I would think it might be better to just tell the people hosting it if there is anything specific that you are needing to get, rather then doing an entirely new registry.  I had a friend who had twins when her daughter was 20 months old, she was able to find a lot of very gently used items on Craigslist and at garage sales.  They had a party before the babies came and people brought gifts, but it didn't feel anything like a shower. Congrats on your twins, it's very exciting!!! :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageangelfire02:
    This is just me, but I think labeling it an actual 'shower' might put some people off.  I totally get that you aren't expecting a shower and it is so sweet that you have people who would like to throw you one, but I do believe in the whole you only get one shower guideline.  Could you set it up more as like a party?  I know it might just come down to semantics, but for me I wouldn't be as happy to go a shower as I would just a party and take a gift for a friend in your situation.  Are you thinking about registering for the stuff you need?  I would think it might be better to just tell the people hosting it if there is anything specific that you are needing to get, rather then doing an entirely new registry.  I had a friend who had twins when her daughter was 20 months old, she was able to find a lot of very gently used items on Craigslist and at garage sales.  They had a party before the babies came and people brought gifts, but it didn't feel anything like a shower. Congrats on your twins, it's very exciting!!! :)

Yeah, I think having it be a party without the expectation of gifts would be the way to go. We were thinking of doing a gender reveal party. That could be really fun!

I don't believe we'll register this time around. I think like you said - it might be best for us to just let my mom know of the things we're still in need of and she can pass that info along... if people ask.

My family is generous by nature and we are definitely not expecting another shower. But knowing them, they will want to do something. 

If we have a boy we'll be set on clothes! Assuming the seasons and sizes line up which I'm sure they won't =) Also, we're hitting up a lot of Mom's of Multiples sales in my area which has been fun.

In a lot of cases, we'll just need one more of each thing. For instance, one more swing, one more boppy, one more bouncer.

Ultimately, I'm not worried because we surely have enough money to get the things we need.

I just didn't know if I should outright refuse a shower in our honor. If that makes sense? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I usually lurk, but since I just had this situation pop up thought I'd reply.

I went to a baby shower for an acquaintane when she had her first little boy. Two years later and she is due with twins- yay! Still, I was a bit put off to get another shower invitation from her.

Her case may be different since it seems like the only time she actually invites us to stuff is when it's a gift for a baby and the rest of the year we don't hear from her at all. I declined the shower and I know a bunch of our friends did on the same grounds. I'll still send her something for the babies, but I think a more tactful thing would have been for her to have a meet the babies party afterwards or something that specified 'no gifts please'.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJessieJH:

I usually lurk, but since I just had this situation pop up thought I'd reply.

I went to a baby shower for an acquaintane when she had her first little boy. Two years later and she is due with twins- yay! Still, I was a bit put off to get another shower invitation from her.

Her case may be different since it seems like the only time she actually invites us to stuff is when it's a gift for a baby and the rest of the year we don't hear from her at all. I declined the shower and I know a bunch of our friends did on the same grounds. I'll still send her something for the babies, but I think a more tactful thing would have been for her to have a meet the babies party afterwards or something that specified 'no gifts please'.

Yeah, see I don't want people to feel that way at all.

So perhaps I'll just tell my family - no shower. But that we'd be up for a gender reveal party or something along those lines.

If people choose to bring a gift, great. If not, great =) We surely will not expect gifts this time around. 

• Options

Where I'm from, multiple showers is not an issue and as long as you aren't throwing it yourself, I see no problem with it.

If people are put off and don't want to attend or buy a gift, they won't.

If I got invited to multiple showers for someone I cared about, I'd be there. It's about celebrating baby and getting baby a gift. I'd do that whether there was a shower or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have been to many "Sprinkles" or second/third showers.  I see no problem with it since you won't be throwing it yourself.

I would not refer to it as a shower.  I believe Sprinkle is accepted in most circles, please correct me if I am speaking out of turn.

Congrats on twins!

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options

Second and third showers are common to me, even if the new child is close in age, same gender, parents have everything, ect.  If I were a friend invited to your shower, I would gladly come.  I would shop off your registry, but I would probably spend less than I did on your first child.  Your decision depends on your crowd, but I see no problem with registering and having a shower.  I might be more selective about the guest list, and only invite close people (who will get you something whether there is a shower or not).

• Options
    Having a 2nd shower imo is tacky, doesn't matter if you're having twins this time around.  A shower is to welcome a woman to mommy hood and you've already done that.  It's not other people's responsibility to provide for you children.
  • Options

imageGismo123:
    Having a 2nd shower imo is tacky, doesn't matter if you're having twins this time around.  A shower is to welcome a woman to mommy hood and you've already done that.  It's not other people's responsibility to provide for you children.

Thanks for your input! I happen to share the same belief that you should only get one shower and that's why I was looking for people's opinions on whether I should refuse another shower or not? 

I too agree that it is not other people's responsibility to provide for my children.

Ultimately, we will probably do a gender reveal party instead. That way we can still celebrate the babies without the expectation of gifts. 

• Options
    I think a gender reveal party is genius! :)  That way people can still come and celebrate with you and share in your great news.  I have to say I also love how gracious you have been about accepting people's opinions on here, it's hard to do some times through typing. :)  Good luck and congrats again!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I think you should. Even if you have stuff from your previous child...now you are having two. So you need a lot more stuff. Do it and don't feel bad!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"