Georgia Babies
Options

Need help with a science fair project

Emma has decided that she wants to do a science fair project (individual projects are optional, they are already doing a class project).  My only problem is that she had this **brilliant** idea while she was taking a bath the other night when it occurred to her that shampoo burns if it gets in your eyes but conditioner does not.  I have scoured the internet trying to turn that into a topic that meets the guidelines but so far have come up with nada.  This is the requirement for the topic:

Your problem or purpose has to be a testable question that leads to an experiment, not to a report or demonstration.

Any ideas or suggestions how I can help turn her idea into a 3rd grade science fair project?  One of my biggest question marks is how she would test any of the theories, I mean, it isn't like she's going to purposefully put soap in her eyes to see if burns or not.

Thanks ladies, and please don't fail me now :)

Re: Need help with a science fair project

• Options

You may be SOL on that one. Because the only experiment I could think of would be putting it in her eyes or her sister's. ;)

I wonder if you could do something like testing skin reactions from regular shampoo and tear-free shampoo? Or maybe examining the different ingredients in different shampoos to figure out what might make one shampoo burn and the other not?

I'm pretty sure the reason conditioners don't burn is because they're missing some sort of cleansing agent. Anyhoo, good luck!!

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    What about testing different shampoos by putting various things in them to see what kind of reaction results? Or trying different shampoos on stains (on clothing or carpet)? Sorry, those don't really go along with the pain factor and her idea.
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of is to test the Ph of the shampoos. You can get litmus paper and dip the strips into the shampoo. She would have to do a write up about Ph and what it indicates. Then discuss why ph level creates a burning feeling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageyellowtulips80:
    The only thing I can think of is to test the Ph of the shampoos. You can get litmus paper and dip the strips into the shampoo. She would have to do a write up about Ph and what it indicates. Then discuss why ph level creates a burning feeling.

Great idea!  I think you are on to something!!! Thanks!!!

• Options
    Sorry I can't help ya on this one.  We are currently wracking our brains on SS  science fair project.  Nothing like a little 4th grade homework to make you feel like a total idiot!  I am presently well versed in the Revolutionary War though.

After 6 long years of TTC and a traumatic birth... I finally got to hold my baby in my arms!

'Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.'Psalm 37:4

2006 start TTC

2007 Start w/ RE (Endo and MFI previous marriage)/ 2008 Vericocele surgery/3 clomid cycles
    2009 Lap removed stage III endo/ 2 failed IUI/ Divorce

2011 Remarried
    October 2011 Dx: Endo & DOR/ November 2011- clomid & TI cycle
    January 2012 IVF~  Flare protocol 10 ER/ 9 mature fertilized with ICSI/ ET- 2 Grade A Blasts/ 4 frozen= BFN
    Febuary 2012- -Endo Biopsy/  MTHFR diagnosis
    March 8- FET 2 grade A blasts= BFP!!!!

November 2012-  Charles was born by emergency C-Section

Dealing with:
    Stage III Endo/ DOR/ MTHFR two mutations C677T & A1298C

Currently TTC #2  FET planned January 2014

• Options

Another thing I'm not looking forward to with school-aged kids, I loathe science fair!  Perhaps you could do something about whether or not tear-free shampoo cleans hair as well as regular shampoo?  Although the only way i can think to test that theory would be to have subjects test various products and give personal opinion. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have I mentioned that my husband is a freaking environmental biologist and there are 50 bajillion resources on hand to do something in that subject?!? But no, I'm dealing with a 9 year old teenager who would rather drink pond water than run an experiment on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"