Breastfeeding
Options

Frequent snacks instead of a nice big meal.

My LO has benn doing a great job nursing. However, she tends to eat for shorter periods of time very frequently instead of filling up. I try to keep her awake, but she just cannot stay awake and falls asleep. She will be ok for about an hour or an hour and a half and then the same thing. She only nurses about 15-20 per a session and mostly on one breast. (I offer the second but she does not want it and just falls asleep.)

In the big picture, it's fine. I can deal with it. But I would like to see if anyone has suggestions as to how I can get her to nurse a little longer so she is satisfied longer.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Frequent snacks instead of a nice big meal.

• Options
    15-20 min per side every 1-1.5 hours is completely normal for a newborn.  So is the falling asleep.  She is regulating & increasing your supply by nursing frequently.  Just keep it up!
  • Options
    I have this EXACT issue too. 
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    While I was in the hospital, the nurses and LC encouraged me to feed DS for 15-30min on one side for each feeding. It sounds like she is doing great :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ONO, well it sounds like we are right on track. So I will not worry about it and keep it up. Thanks for the reassurance!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like she is getting a nice big meal! She has a tiny tummy. :) I read 20 minutes before I saw her age and was thinking how much longer that is than my lo..they get more efficient as they get older. My lo now only eats about 5 minutes before she's done. You're doing a good job! Lo's need to eat that frequently at that age.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"