July 2012 Moms
Options

NASCAR race while PG??

As a Christmas present we received Nascar tickets from my BFF. Well, that was before we knew we were PG. So I wonder if I can go?? I'll be about 23 weeks at that point.

Anyone else go to a race while pg?

My DH thinks it's a bad idea due to the noise level. I think the baby is so protected and snug in there with lots of layers around him/her.  Thoughts?? Experience??

Thanks in advance!

Loving life's blessings!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
imageimageimageimage

Re: NASCAR race while PG??

• Options
    I can't imagine it's any worse than going to a concert while pregnant.  Assuming you're out of harms way (like you're not going to get run over by a car). lol  I say go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think it will be a problem. We were seeing live music up until I was 38 weeks. Last show was Sun Kil Moon at the Great American Music Hall. It was sooooo loud  and so, so good. One of my all time favorite shows ever. Ada can hear just fine :)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm an audiologist, so I'll try to give you my professional input here.  Let me say first and foremost, that there isn't evidence that regular noise exposure can damage the hearing of a fetus.  Most of those studies are done on women who work on a daily basis in a noisy environment.  Effects other than hearing loss have been found, but again, that is from daily exposure.  That being said, a NASCAR race is typically much louder than most work environments and concerts.  A NASCAR race can potentially reach 140dB.  Instant hearing damage occurs at 112dB (and of course anything louder than that).  Figuring out how much noise will reach the fetus is just simple subtraction.  The body tissues and fluids surrounding the fetus is thought to reduce sound by 30-50 dB.  Therefore, we can assume that the sound reaching the fetus would be anywhere from around 90-110dB.  If the sound was 90dB, it would take 2 1/2 hours before potential hearing damage could occur.  If the sound was 110dB, it would take 1 minute before potential hearing damage could occur.   Now, this is all assuming you're in a constant stream of noise.  

Very long story short, if it was me I probably wouldn't risk it (and I'm not one to get too overprotective about things).  Normally loud sounds are not going to affect baby (concerts, etc.) and I would typically say to go for it, but NASCAR is just a different beast all together when it comes to sound levels.  I hope I didn't bore you too much, I just wanted you to understand why I would discourage it rather than just throwing my opinion out there. 

• Options
    imagearom24:

I'm an audiologist, so I'll try to give you my professional input here.  Let me say first and foremost, that there isn't evidence that regular noise exposure can damage the hearing of a fetus.  Most of those studies are done on women who work on a daily basis in a noisy environment.  Effects other than hearing loss have been found, but again, that is from daily exposure.  That being said, a NASCAR race is typically much louder than most work environments and concerts.  A NASCAR race can potentially reach 140dB.  Instant hearing damage occurs at 112dB (and of course anything louder than that).  Figuring out how much noise will reach the fetus is just simple subtraction.  The body tissues and fluids surrounding the fetus is thought to reduce sound by 30-50 dB.  Therefore, we can assume that the sound reaching the fetus would be anywhere from around 90-110dB.  If the sound was 90dB, it would take 2 1/2 hours before potential hearing damage could occur.  If the sound was 110dB, it would take 1 minute before potential hearing damage could occur.   Now, this is all assuming you're in a constant stream of noise.  

Very long story short, if it was me I probably wouldn't risk it (and I'm not one to get too overprotective about things).  Normally loud sounds are not going to affect baby (concerts, etc.) and I would typically say to go for it, but NASCAR is just a different beast all together when it comes to sound levels.  I hope I didn't bore you too much, I just wanted you to understand why I would discourage it rather than just throwing my opinion out there. 

That's really interesting!  I had no idea. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like as long as your not in the Nascar race you should be fine!
  • Options
    Again, I wouldn't worry about concerts at all.  They would be perfectly acceptable! 
  • Options
    imagearom24:

That being said, a NASCAR race is typically much louder than most work environments and concerts. 

Yeah...I was also going to say that NASCAR is much louder than a concert so you can't really compare. I may come out of both with my ears rining, but I'm wearing ear protection for NASCAR and not for the concert. I don't think I would chance it.

• Options
    A friend went to Daytona while she was 6mo PG and her baby is fine. We were in the infield for the race and the noise was more than tolerable, to the point we didn't need our earplugs. I plan on going to Charlotte when i'm about 7mo for the All Star race and will be in the infield as well. Please note the poster who gave all of the info (which was awesome, thx!) did say potential for maximum noise level. That being said, you didn't mention which race you were talking about. If it were Bristol (or similar) I would be way more concerned than a larger track (Daytona,etc) as the noise is constant throughout the whole race, opposed to less exposure on a larger track. Bottom line, do what you are comfortable with or if in doubt, ask your doc
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were going to Fontana, but after talking to my DH about it, I guess we've decided against it.  Boooooooooooo!  But thank you to all for the input and medical advice as well! That was really neat to know!!
    Loving life's blessings!
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

My husband races figure 8s and they have NASCAR type cars. They are called late models and my girls loved it. I asked the dr and there is no risk what so ever!! To have fun and enjoy the race! I am one jealous momma!!

• Options
    I think it's fine. I went to the Las Vegas race when I was about 4 months along with my 2nd child. I don't beleive the noise level would be an issue, espesially this early in pregnancy. Enjoy the race!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"