3rd Trimester
Options

Baby flipping before scheduled C-section?

Hi all,

Last Friday at my 36 week appointment we found out that baby is breech. I am scheduled for a version tomorrow and have been doing lots of spinningbabies.com suggestions. If the version does not work, then a c-section will have to be scheduled for sometime around my due date (was planning a med-free vaginal birth). Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what my chances are of baby flipping on his own before the C-section.

Thanks!

Re: Baby flipping before scheduled C-section?

• Options
    I have actually seen video of a midwife doing some sort of tortuous looking twists and turns on a woman's belly in an effort to get the baby to turn from breech to head first. It looked really painful, but if you can handle the pain of childbirth without meds, I can't see this being any different. LO might not turn and you would end up with the c section anyway. I am sure the possibilty exists of LO turning, but then again, maybe not. I would hate to wait until you go into labor and then have to prep for an emergency c section anyway when LO doesn't turn. It may not be the birth plan you dreamed of, but as long as you and LO are safe, isn't that what is most important? I hope it works out, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Very true. Its all about a healthy baby and healthy mama. The painful looking video of the twists and turns you saw is called an external version, where they manually manipulate the baby to flip. I am going into the hospital to get it done. They will monitor the baby the whole time. It is in an effort to make him flip into the right position. If he does, great! If not, no harm no foul and at least I wont regret not trying. Thanks for your words!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've also heard of the version working and then the baby flipping right back to breech.  Hopefully your version works and baby stays where he's supposed to! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DD flipped at around 37 weeks on her own.. my doctor said I could get the external version done.. but more times than not the baby would flip back!!!!!!

But def worth a try! :)

• Options
    There is still a small chance after 36 weeks.  My SIL's second baby flipped to head down just before 38 weeks.  Good luck with your version!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemrsadamc 05:
    I've also heard of the version working and then the baby flipping right back to breech.  Hopefully your version works and baby stays where he's supposed to! 

I've heard of that too. Crossing my fingers it works and he stays that way!

• Options
    Thanks ladies! If he is anywhere close to as stubborn as his mama ;) then we could just be dealing with that. Good thoughts all around. Thanks for the support.
  • Options

I'm going in for a version on Friday so I will cross my fingers for you and you please cross yours for me.

A friend of mine had one done last week. It did not work, but: She said it was NOT painful, just very uncomfortable, but DEFINITELY worth the try. My doc said that the chances of the baby flipping on her own at this point were 3% (yes yes I know a lot of ladies say their LOs flipped late but doctor said it is typcially when they were flipping up and down all along or were head down at some point which mine never was). Compared to version chances of 50-60%. Still think it's worth trying the version.

That being said, just recently a girl I know said how with her first baby she came in for her scheduled c/s due to breech and got sent home bc baby had flipped at the last minute. She delivered vaginally. Not sure if she baby was head down at some point before thought or not...

• Options
    imageharmonicbabe26:

I'm going in for a version on Friday so I will cross my fingers for you and you please cross yours for me.

A friend of mine had one done last week. It did not work, but: She said it was NOT painful, just very uncomfortable, but DEFINITELY worth the try. My doc said that the chances of the baby flipping on her own at this point were 3% (yes yes I know a lot of ladies say their LOs flipped late but doctor said it is typcially when they were flipping up and down all along or were head down at some point which mine never was). Compared to version chances of 50-60%. Still think it's worth trying the version.

Will totally cross my fingers for you! I think the version is totally worth a try. I know my LO was head down at 33 weeks and right now  I cant really tell. I am doing all this crazy stuff to get him to flip. Have you looked at spinningbabies.com?

Good luck to you, lady!

• Options
    ~10% chance baby will flip head-down on its own at this point.  A 3% chance that you will have a successful version and then the baby will flip back to breech position.
  • Options

I'm 34 weeks and have been breech since at least 23 weeks.

I've been planning a med free vaginal birth, just like I had with my son 2 years ago.  But if this baby doesn't flip head first, I'm getting a scheduled c-section around my due date.

Anyway, I'm not a good candidate for an external version because of where the placenta is located, so my midwives recommended a chiropractor to get the Webster technique.  We started a little over a week ago, when I was 33 weeks.  I think the baby flipped into head first over the weekend after the first treatment and the chiropractor concurs.  But we went ahead with another Webster treatment today since it can't hurt.

Tomorrow, I'm getting an ultrasound, so hopefully we can confirm that baby's head down and ready to go.

So, at this point, I'd say find a chiropractor real quick, it seems to be working for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageacaudill75:
    I have actually seen video of a midwife doing some sort of tortuous looking twists and turns on a woman's belly in an effort to get the baby to turn from breech to head first. It looked really painful, but if you can handle the pain of childbirth without meds, I can't see this being any different. LO might not turn and you would end up with the c section anyway. I am sure the possibilty exists of LO turning, but then again, maybe not. I would hate to wait until you go into labor and then have to prep for an emergency c section anyway when LO doesn't turn. It may not be the birth plan you dreamed of, but as long as you and LO are safe, isn't that what is most important? I hope it works out, though.

In this instance it would not be an emergency c-sec. You go into the hospital in labour - they confirm baby is breech and prep you for a c-sec. The only thing is that you do not know when the c-sec will be.  A true emergency happens when the baby is in distress and you end up with a general anasthetic (spelling??) and that is not good. But an unplanned c-sec isn't a big deal - I had one with my DD and it was very straight forward provided you go to hospital early in labour.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was in your boat, then LO flipped at 37w 6d! We did not attempt any spinningbabies or OWT to flipped her. We thought the best plan was to let her do what she needed to do. Good Luck getting LO to flip!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were breech the whole way until the last week. Ds flipped during the last 5 days I was pregnant. It is possible!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"