Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

6 month shots & Flu Shot???

I know that when I take LO for his 6 month shots/appt next week that they are going to want to give him the flu shot. I have read several posts where people say they are having a horrible time with this round of shots and think it may be the flu shot being added in. I am thinking about not letting them give it to him at the same time as the other shots. I would rather go back a week or two later and spread them out a bit. Is anyone else doing something like this? LO has always done great with his shots- but I just feel bad giving him the ones he would be getting anyways- plus the flu shot. I know they do it with most babies- but I am just thinking of lessening his discomfort.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 6 month shots & Flu Shot???

• Options
    It's totally up to you. We got the 6 month shots and the flu shot all together because I just wanted to get it over with. I didn't want to have to go back to the Dr. and put him through the pain of getting shots again only a week later. He got the shots on Tuesday of last week and did not sleep well for a few nights. Last night was much better though. Good luck with your decision!
  • Options

we've always spaced out DS's shots since he was 2months on. He just didn't do well with the 2month shots and I thought it was too much all at once for him. Since then we've never had any problems with any of the vaccinations. Our pedi is on board fully with this so that really helps.

I'm not sure what they'll suggest during his 6month visit but i know they highly suggest the flu shot obviously. I just know that I've told them one shot at a time. So we'll probably just bring him back in a week or so for the flu shot.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just do it all at once and get it over with rather than put LO through shots twice. My girls do great with shots, though. Also, for your LO's first flu shot they actually get two doses, so if you waited it would actually be two more trips to the pedi.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had them all done at once, and had no problems!
  • Options
    Our pedi was not comfortable giving the flu shot with the rest of his vaccines so we go back in a week for the first part of the flu shot. I agreed and DS had no issues with this round of shots. He slept fine, no fever and really no fussiness. I'm glad we decided to do it this way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we split them up a bit.   At his 6 month appt, the dr gave him the rotavirus(which is oral), a flu shot, and DTaP/Hib/Polio combo shot.   We go back on Feb 9 for his 2nd flu shot and the pnuecoccal(sp) shot.   Since we have to go back anyway for a 2nd flu shot, the dr said we might as well do just 2 shots at each visit.
  • Options
    My son did terrible with the 2 mos shots, but the 4 and 6 mos shots were a breeze.  He got all the vaccines and flu shot together with no issues other than being a little fussy the day of the shots.  I've not heard anyone I know saying the 6 mos vaccines were especially hard on their LOs.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options
    My daughter would have gotten the flu shot at her 6 month appt if they had any left
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image image image image image Visit The Nest! image
  • Options
    We did it all at once.  The pedi said the worst flu season last year was in February, so the sooner the better, especially since it is 2 shots 4-6 weeks apart.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLStorms:
    We did it all at once.  The pedi said the worst flu season last year was in February, so the sooner the better, especially since it is 2 shots 4-6 weeks apart.

We just did it today and our dr gave us the same information regarding flu season peaking in February.  He had a great day despite a bit of a fever (which he usually gets after shots).  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Did them all at once with no problems.  Camden was fussy that day but it was the same with her two month shots too.  Personally, if I was going to delay a shot I would get the flu shot today and the rest next week.  Feb. is the worst on record for the flu and it is EVERYWHERE.  You child has a higher chance of getting the flu than mumps/measles etc.  But that is just me, flame away if you must.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would NEVER do this again.  We did 6 month shots and flu shot and it has been horrible since.  My son keeps getting sick with fever, congestion, runny nose, cough.  He's on breathing treatments every four hours.  The flu shot made his sick and very fussy.

This was just my experience.  I think every baby is different and reacts to their shots differently.  Since my son has breating issues when ever he gets the slightest cold, I wouldn't do it again.  Good luck with what ever decision you make!!!

• Options

We did it all at once with no problems.  DD was SUPER cranky after her 4 month shots and didn't have a care in the world for her 6 month shots plus the flu shot.  I'm not going to say that shots never cause side effects (because they sometimes do!), but I think every issue that babies have within a week of their shots get blamed on the shots, whether deservedly or not.

I also think that it's sometimes the experience of getting the shot (being taken out, maybe past naptime, plus the whole unpleasant doctor's visit) that causes post-shot crankiness, and spreading them out would just exacerbate that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"