Breastfeeding

"thumping" noise when pumping

I'm having some problems, and am hoping maybe you girls can troubleshoot for me! The last couple days I've had a super low supply when pumping (normally I have oversupply). DD seems fine and satisfied when I nurse her at home.

I usually get about 10+ oz of pumped BM at my first pump session, and at least 5+ at the next two sessions at work. Last week I was only able to pump at work twice M-W, 3 times on Thursday, and I EBF F-Sun usually every two hours. Would only pumping twice those 3 days cause my supply to suffer this week?

Also, I've noticed this week that when I'm pumping, I hear a ''thump" every time the suction releases my nipple back. I've never had this problem before. I've tried adjusting the shield, and adjusting the speed. I feel like I'm just not getting the same quality pumping I used to get, as of last week. I've only been pumping for ~3 mo with a brand new Medela PISA. Could the parts be the wrong size?

I'm just not sure which (maybe both?) is causing my low supply! TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "thumping" noise when pumping

• I get the "thumping" noise when my breasts are empty and the white membranes get dry.  The thumping is them popping back and forth.  When they are wet, they sort of suction on to the little yellow piece more.  It gets worse the older and looser the membranes are.  Do yours need replaced?

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • imageAggieGrl:

I get the "thumping" noise when my breasts are empty and the white membranes get dry.  The thumping is them popping back and forth.  When they are wet, they sort of suction on to the little yellow piece more.  It gets worse the older and looser the membranes are.  Do yours need replaced?

Probably! I'll try that, thanks! Do you think it would have any affect on the amount I'm pumping?

• Loading the player...
  • I sometimes get that noise too.  I have found that I need to keep an extra set of all parts and extra membranes and replace those once a month.  I also use the Medela wipes between pumps at work (parts go in the fridge and I clean end of day) and I wipe off the flange and yellow part -- this makes a difference in suction and I get much better output than I was before starting this practice. But my output isn't as high as yours.
  • It could certainly decrease your supply if the pump isn't working effectively.  
    DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • imagewhitney1170:

I'm having some problems, and am hoping maybe you girls can troubleshoot for me! The last couple days I've had a super low supply when pumping (normally I have oversupply). DD seems fine and satisfied when I nurse her at home.

This was exactly my problem too--I went from having an oversupply about 6 weeks ago, to now feeling like I'm not pumping enough for LO, since he just started taking (in the past 2 days) about 16 oz a day and I am generally only pumping 13-14 oz a day. 

I was starting to think I had a low supply this week too, but in reading on Kellymom.com I fell a little better about it...maybe this link will help you if you haven't seen it already:  https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html  It could be that you dont actually have a low supply.

"Is your milk supply really low?

First of all, is your milk supply really low? Often, mothers think that their milk supply is low when it really isn't. If your baby is gaining weight well on breastmilk alone, then you do not have a problem with milk supply."

P.S. I get that thumping noise too, I'm glad you posted about it.  From the PP it sounds like it could be 1 of 2 things.

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
  • imagebeachgirl24:
    imagewhitney1170:

This was exactly my problem too--I went from having an oversupply about 6 weeks ago, to now feeling like I'm not pumping enough for LO, since he just started taking (in the past 2 days) about 16 oz a day and I am generally only pumping 13-14 oz a day. 

I was starting to think I had a low supply this week too, but in reading on Kellymom.com I fell a little better about it...maybe this link will help you if you haven't seen it already:  https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html  It could be that you dont actually have a low supply.

"Is your milk supply really low?

First of all, is your milk supply really low? Often, mothers think that their milk supply is low when it really isn't. If your baby is gaining weight well on breastmilk alone, then you do not have a problem with milk supply."

P.S. I get that thumping noise too, I'm glad you posted about it.  From the PP it sounds like it could be 1 of 2 things.

Thanks, I read that and it does make me feel better! I bet it's the parts that need replacing (fingers crossed!). I'll get some today and we'll see how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"