May 2012 Moms
Options

Nursery decor - how much storage space do we need?

2nd, 3rd time moms - need your expertise here!

We bought a new 6 drawer dresser for the nursery.  We're also going to add some sort of organization system in the closet (standard size).  We have an old Ikea 3-drawer that doesn't match anything and I'd like to get rid of, but DH insists that we should keep it for the nursery just in case.  The problem is, if we keep the Ikea dresser it sort of changes all my decorating ideas for the nursery, including some shelving I want to hang on the wall.  So I'd prefer to decide whether to keep or get rid of it now since I don't want to be moving shelving once the baby is here.

Do you think a 6-drawer dresser + closet is enough space for all the baby clothes and accessories, or should we keep the 3-drawer too?

Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

Re: Nursery decor - how much storage space do we need?

• Options
    I think you will be fine with the closet and one dresser. I would keep the other dresser though if you can put it somewhere else in your house. Personally, we do not play much in the nursery and I am always trying to find good storage space for the toys throughout the house. We definitely have more toys/books than clothes and accessories.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think between the closet and dresser you should be fine.  You may want to keep the extra dresser like PP mentioned just in case you need it for now. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagehoping4sticky:
    I think you will be fine with the closet and one dresser. I would keep the other dresser though if you can put it somewhere else in your house. Personally, we do not play much in the nursery and I am always trying to find good storage space for the toys throughout the house. We definitely have more toys/books than clothes and accessories.

This.  All we have for DD#1 is a 3-drawer dresser and her small closet (with one shelf).  We also have a small toy chest for her toys/stuffed animals.  For some reason people think that stuffed animals are a perfect gift for a baby and we have a million stuffed animals that take up a lot of room.  We also have a ton of books too.  I wish I had more shelves than anything for storage, not drawers. 

As soon as the baby outgrows all the clothes/accessories that you get from your shower and/or gifts, you probably won't need as much storage room for clothes (after she outgrew them we put them in SpaceBags and put them in storage).  This, at least, was the case for us.  We had A LOT of clothes until she was about 9-10 months old then space really wasn't an issue.  

• Options

I agree with PP, although we are getting both a 6 drawer and a 3 drawer dress for DS's "big boy room" that he's moving into before the baby comes. We need the space--and he's only 2. So you may want to hang on to it.

Also, I cannot stress the need for other storage- we have 5 bins of clothes (newborn/0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12-18), as well as tons of baby gear (swing, pnp, bouncy chair, bumbo, exersaucer) that take up a lot of room. We had to move (okay, HAD TO is a stretch) because we ran out of storage room in our 2-bedroom house.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am a FTM, but we are using the closet and a long double dresser/changing table that we we purchased with a hutch. The dresser has three little drawers and four big drawers. We bought a bookshelf that matches, as well, and the crib converts to a toddler and fullsize bed so our thought is that our daughter will use it for a good long while (at least until she moves out and maybe she'll do what I did, and take it with her!).. .what I plan to do is keep a few bins of the "older" clothes that I am already buying/receiving as gifts. If I have room in the closet for more "older" stuff, then I'll keep it there. I'm not sure what I'll have room for yet! This brings up another question I have and I'll post it separately!

--Danielle :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is #3 for us and we have used a dresser (4 drawer, kid sized), doubled as a changing table and a closet organizer. We have a 6 drawer chest that pretty much stays empty or we put out of season clothes in.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    For my DD we have one 4 drawer dresser and a closet. The closet is mostly empty and the dresser has one drawer that is empty.  We were given a TON of clothes and i basically never bought anything. I hate collecting and having too much.  Also as soon as she grew out of stuff I put it into a rubbermaid container, keeps the dresser clean and easy to find stuff that will fit them!
  • Options

With DS we had a 5 drawer upright dresser inside of his standard size closet and there was enough room for everything.

Now with LO, I'm doing major rearranging. With them both having a upright dresser outside of the closet and clothes in the closet. I think I need more room. I guess we'll see once I get LO's dresser in DS's room.

• Options

It totally depends on how much stuff you want to have for lo. With my first I never had more than a plastic three draw dresser. I just didn't have room or the money I was still in college when I had him and it was more than enough room for what I had for him and he was a very happy baby.

With my second I had a six drawer large dresser completely full of stuff not that I used half of the outfits he had. But I had hand me downs from four little boys so I got the stuff out to see what I wanted to use. In my experience the more space the more stuff you will have.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"