Babies on the Brain
Options

R/P from potty training..need some botb help.

My older boy just turned 3 a couple weeks ago. He has pooped in the potty once, a long time ago and then outright refused. Now, we've been putting him in cloth training pants during the day and he keeps them dry all day. 8:30am til 1:30 today. We sat him on the potty numerous times including right before nap and he wouldn't go. So we put plastic training pants on and laid him in bed. He peed within 3 minutes. UGH! I was trying not to give him a diaper so he would tell me when he needed to go but that failed.

He's watched us go, we have the Elmo potty DVD, we have a fun toilet, we try offering rewards...nothing works. He asked me how to do it...I've told him just make it wet, make the water come out, relax etc...

Anything I can do? Any advice? I'm glad he can stay dry all day but I feel like he should be going in the potty when he needs to go...wdyt? Back off? Keep doing what i'm doing?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: R/P from potty training..need some botb help.

• Options

Honestly? Bribery worked like a miracle for Colin. We tried to PT a few times and they were huge failures because he would hold his pee until nap or bedtime when we would put him in a pull up and then he'd go as soon as we left the room.

A few months back, I decided to try a sticker chart and we put him in underwear. He had one accident at 10:30 that morning, and then no more for months. Literally, months (still in a Pull Up for nap and bedtime though - those will be a while still). He was ALL about the stickers. It did take a few more days to get him to poop in the potty (he would just hold it until nighttime when he had a Pull Up on), and since stickers didn't work for that, we bought a few trucks in the $1 spot at Target and TRU, and bribed him. Worked perfectly, and he has pooped in the toilet ever since. Once we brought bribery (err, should I be calling this a 'reward' to make it sound better? LOL) into the picture, PT was almost instant and was seriously easy. 

Good luck, I know it is so frustrating at first.  

• Options

I'm really no expert, so feel free to ignore me, but I would stay consistant.  C does good now, but we had some rough patches. 

My friend has a little boy and said she put something (not sure what... something flushable I'm sure) in the toilet and told him to aim and fire and apparently it worked... Just a suggestion. Big Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sink the cheerios/ fruit loops. Make it a game. It worked with my son and he got a big treat after (out to DQ)

DH showed him how to pee on the cheerios and sink them. Battlepiss we call it (but not to DS lol) DS thought it was fun and you have to get super excited about it. YAY! You can do it!!! LOOK what you did!!! etc..

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • Options
    imageprincess101:

My older boy just turned 3 a couple weeks ago. He has pooped in the potty once, a long time ago and then outright refused. Now, we've been putting him in cloth training pants during the day and he keeps them dry all day. 8:30am til 1:30 today. We sat him on the potty numerous times including right before nap and he wouldn't go. So we put plastic training pants on and laid him in bed. He peed within 3 minutes. UGH! I was trying not to give him a diaper so he would tell me when he needed to go but that failed.

He's watched us go, we have the Elmo potty DVD, we have a fun toilet, we try offering rewards...nothing works. He asked me how to do it...I've told him just make it wet, make the water come out, relax etc...

Anything I can do? Any advice? I'm glad he can stay dry all day but I feel like he should be going in the potty when he needs to go...wdyt? Back off? Keep doing what i'm doing?

Are you the main "trainer"? There was a little girl at the daycare where I worked and she would not poop in the potty and would wear a pull-up until she pooped in it. I worked with toddlers and she was a preschooler, but when I subbed for someone in the preschool room and told her to go to the bathroom and try and go poop, she went poop.

So maybe try and get your LO's dad to try for a while if you haven't tried that yet. Like JUST your DH. Not you at all. I think the little girl at the daycare wanted to impress someone "new". She pooped everyday when I was the one to take her to the potty.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just tried the cheerios thing..he almost cried and said "Don't put the cheerios in the potty, I want to eat them!" He's now eating cheerios and drinking a big cup of water/juice mix to try to get him to go.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageprincess101:
    Just tried the cheerios thing..he almost cried and said "Don't put the cheerios in the potty, I want to eat them!" He's now eating cheerios and drinking a big cup of water/juice mix to try to get him to go.

Damn.... LOL. let me think for a min..

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • Options

hmm.. I really wish I was more help. Maybe try the cheerios one more time when he doesn't want them so much? AGH.. Anything he doesn't have an attachment too that is flushable and floats? Not sure... Maybe have DH try also.

• Options

Oisin was the same way.  We just decided that we needed to work on the peeing in the toilet thing before getting rid of the diapers.  He's been using the bathroom for about 2 weeks, but we just this weekend got rid of diapers during the day.  It just wasn't worth it. 

I still cannot get him to poop in the toilet.  I've told him when he does it, I'll give him a lollypop.  But only if he does it.  I'm still waiting for the poop and he's still waiting for the lollypop.

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We hung matchbox cars on the shower curtain as incentive.  Of course, they hung up there for weeks before he just decided he was ready.  Peeing came first, and now he is finally pooping as well and earned his last truck that was hanging up there.  
  • Options
    Maybe try these instead of cheerios: www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3029679&searchURL=true
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"