Preemies
Options

Jumperoo=hip problems?

Just discovered this board, it would have been so nice to have when our babies were in the NICU...anyway they are now home and doing well but I had a question.  Our pediatrician said that a jumper  is fine to use.  But then a week later we went to a follow up for the NICU with an OT and their pediatrician and they had almost a violent reaction when we said we had a jumper!  Said they were terrible to use, and could cause major hip problems, even hip dysplasia.  Has anyone else been told this? I feel bad because our DD loves it, but obviously won't continue using it if it's bad for them.  Thanks!

Re: Jumperoo=hip problems?

• Options
    We aren't under the care of a OC or PT, but I've never heard this.  My Doctor said to limit jumper time to a few 20 or 30 minute sessions, but that didn't surprise me.  They said the same thing about a swing and bouncer when he came home. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

https://www.hipdysplasia.org/Developmental-Dysplasia-Of-The-Hip/Prevention/Baby-Carriers-Seats-and-Other-Equipment/Default.aspx

I think it's another one of those things that is a "everything in moderation" concept.

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were told by a couple of doctors not to get a jumperoo because of the hip development problem. We got an Exersaucer, which is similar for the baby to "stand" and play, but doesn't jump. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Our PT said no to jumperoos, walkers, exersaucers, etc.  Her explanation was that preemies have greater arm and leg strength and weaker core muscles, the jumpers, etc can make it more imbalanced.  Our little one isn't home yet, but this is the discussion that we had a few days ago.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagespain116:

Our PT said no to jumperoos, walkers, exersaucers, etc.  Her explanation was that preemies have greater arm and leg strength and weaker core muscles, the jumpers, etc can make it more imbalanced.  Our little one isn't home yet, but this is the discussion that we had a few days ago.

This.  

• Options

PT/OT will almost always be against toys like this.  Everything in moderation.  Our PT/OT person said they are bad because "preemies who use these have a hard time learning to walk because they learn to stand in only one way".  Other PT/OT say not to use it because "preemies have strong legs an weak cores, so they should not use them".

Use your judgement.  Don't leave your LO in there for hours at a time (which I know you don't) and don't give up your authority as a MOM who knows their baby best!  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options
    Even full-term babies are not supposed to be in jumpers, exersaucers, etc. for more than 30 minutes a day, and they're not as prone to developmental difficulties. That's one reason we never bothered to buy an exersaucer or jumper--only using something for 30 minutes a day didn't seem worth it to us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anything used too much is not good, things used in moderation are fine. Andrew uses his jumperoo and he loves it. And his hips are just fine.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    we use it in moderation for a few minutes here and there. it has been a huge lifesaver. when he is bored and fussy and i HAVE to do something it helps him burn off some energy. he hates to be on the floor playing so its either his high chair or jumperoo. we still have the bouncy seat and swing out (he still loves both) but im trying to wean off using them. 
  • Options

I was told by the OT in the NICU this as well. That Jumparoo's, walkers, pretty much anything where their legs are hanging like that in a seat is bad for their hips and development.

When I told my mom this her reply was "I can't believe w/ having 4 kids and using all of those that you guys turned out just fine..."  So who knows. I'm going to talk to my pediatrician about this when we get to the point where are girls are big enough for one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagespain116:

We were told the same thing.  Our doctors also said that these take away from tummy time and we should focus on those instead of jumpers or excersausers.  I think at their last developmental screening the doctor said something to the effect that "in full term babies these things don't hurt but they don't provide any benefit but in preemies they actually may do more harm then good." 

But like someone else said, i'd file jumpers and excursuasers under the "everything in moderation"

Mom to three beautiful preemies:

Lily born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 4 oz.
    Max born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Glenn born at 31 wks: 3 lbs 9 oz.

My twin's birth story
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"