Natural Birth
Options

Didn't feel the urge to push w/ baby #2

With DS1, I had the urge to push (but was only 8 cm when the nurse checked- and then 6 cm when the resident checked- I guess Ina Mae was right about your cervix being able to close up..haha!- so I caved and got an epi and never felt the urge again).

With DS2, I arrived at the hospital at 9-10 cm. I labored for about 20 min after I got there and finally asked the midwife when I was supposed to push, because I never felt the urge. She said to try pushing w/ the contractions, so I did and he was born about 30 min later. I never felt the urge, and never had the relief that I had felt when I was secretely pushing w/ DS1 before the epi. Do you guys know if I just didn't labor down long enough? After he was born, the midwife said he was posterior, but DS1 had turned posterior, too, so I don't think that's why I didn't feel the urge. Just curious if anyone knows why?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Didn't feel the urge to push w/ baby #2

• Options
    Was the bag of water still intact with #2?  I had a mild urge but that was it and my CNM said it was most likely because my bag of water never broke.
  • Options
    No, it had already broken.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never got the urge either. I was completely med free.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't know the specific answer to your question.  But I will say that I never had a strong urge to push with either of my births, at least not like I'd imagined it would be, and been told how it would be by others.  The only thing I felt was that my contractions became much more intense and felt different.  Right around that time I was told I was at 10cm, so I started pushing because I wanted to be done!  So maybe some of us are just different and don't necessarily feel the traditional "urge to push"?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I was wondering if maybe I didn't labor down enough, but since I was complete I wanted to be done, too! I also wondered if maybe it's because by that time I had been in bed (instead of moving around/changing positions) for a while. Maybe my labor stalled somewhat with all the commotion of them getting the room ready and giving me an IV (which I didn't want, but didn't feel like fighting them). I didn't have time to get "comfortable" haha! The t.v. was on in the room, and I remember thinking how annoying it was, but couldn't vocalize what I wanted while dealing w/ the cntrxns. The lights were on bright, but after a bit the midwife realized it and turned them on dim- I couldn't believe how much better it felt to have them on dim! I'm still a little shocked at how hard pushing was (not that I thought it would be easy, just that it would bring relief and it didn't!).
  • Options

i pushed for a really long time (8hrs) with my first after reaching 10cm and not getting an urge. he was OP, and my membranes weren't ruptured for the first 6 hours of pushing, so that may have contributed to the lack of urge.

i definitely felt the urge for my anterior baby's birth! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I never felt the urge to push either. I arrived at the hospital at 8 cm. They kept telling me I would know when I was ready to push and would feel the urge. I never did. When I was complete they told me I could start pushing, and I did, but it hurt more to push so they were very weak pushes. I did that for about an hour-hour and a half. Eventually the midwife told me that I couldn't wait for the urge to push, I had to decide I was going to push the baby out and do it. So I did. And it was very painful, and very hard! After almost 4 hours of strong, hard pushing my son was born.

I was moving around a lot and trying different things, but I still never felt the urge. My water broke at the start of my labor. It was very hard for me to tell when to push because I couldn't feel the contractions very well. I felt constant pain and pressure that only slightly eased when the contractions eased, so I eventually asked them to do constant monitoring so they could tell me when to push. From what I have heard others say that is very unusual, but that's the way it was for me!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"