Single Parents
Options

Uh... might not even be legally married???

So I had my first visit with my attorney today. It went well and I think we are going to be able to settle things pretty quickly, STBXH has his priorities clearly out of whack, and has no intention of spending money on an attorney.

So, I got married in the Bahamas, but I never filed for a civil service or marriage license in the US. Call me an idiot but I didn't think I had to. So legally I'm not married in the U.S.

Zip it! 

I have know idea if I should be relieved or what... I'm not sure if this will complicate or make the process easier on me.

Re: Uh... might not even be legally married???

• Options
    Hmm...I don't know, but it sounds like it would make things easier.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

My attorney wasn't 100% on it, but I'm going to send her the marriage license I got from the bahamas and then I have to call the town hall and find out if there was anything I needed to do.

So if I'm not recognized as married, would that mean he has no parental rights to Lucas?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    He would if he's on the birth certificate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecautionwillburneyes:
    He would if he's on the birth certificate.

^^ Not always true. My ex-FI is on the birth certificate but because we are unmarried he has no rights to her until he files for them. (he JUST served me today) so this might actually help you if you are looked at as "unmarried" in the court system!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ah, well hopefully that's the case then.
  • Options
    I'm a lurker and never post. I have read a few of your posts and feel like they are fabricated to an extent. I do think you are having issues, but come on, Now your not even married. Be truthful to yourself and these ladies if you truly want advice and help with your situation. 
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you are married.  For example if some one gets married in England then moves to America they are considered married under the law.  I don't think it matters what country you get married in.
  • Options
    imagetifanico:

imagedmndsr4eva:
    I'm pretty sure you are married.  For example if some one gets married in England then moves to America they are considered married under the law.  I don't think it matters what country you get married in.

Of course it does matter! Unless you register your marriage in a country, it is not considered valid.

Good news for you! You can get married to different people in different countries!! 

OP, was your marriage license filed in the Bahamas?  Obviously there is a signed marriage license somewhere.

• Options
    If you're not legally married he still has parental rights, but he'd have to sue you to take advantage of them.
  • Options
    Tia just so you know in MA if you werent marreid at the time of the birth of the child if doesnt matter if he is on the birth certificate. He has to sign a seperate acknowledgement of paternity (big ugly yellow form).  he would need this for custody, you would need this for child support.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • Options

imageaesf:
    Tia just so you know in MA if you werent marreid at the time of the birth of the child if doesnt matter if he is on the birth certificate. He has to sign a seperate acknowledgement of paternity (big ugly yellow form).  he would need this for custody, you would need this for child support.

This exactly.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I asked attorney for clarification since this is all fuzzy to me. I called town hall and there would be nothing I need to do as long as it was a marriage certificate, not a certificate of ceremony. So I need to go dig it up and send a copy to my attorney to verify it's a legal marriage certificate.

Hopefully that clarifies any confusion. I think it does for me, but I'm thinking then it shouldn't be an issue, I'm 80-90% we went through the legal bahama marriage process. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"