Health & Exercise
Options

Coping with Insomnia while Pregnant

Anyone else have insomnia? Well I've had such sleeping problems since having my son 3 1/2 yrs. ago that I have to take sleeping pills to get and stay asleep. Now I'm pregnant again and obviously can't take anything to keep me alseep. I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Anyone else having this problem and what are they doing to cope with it?

Re: Coping with Insomnia while Pregnant

• Options
    I have trouble sleeping at night, which sucks.  If I lay down at 3p, I'll sleep for 4 or 5 hours straight, but then up all night.  SO, I get up at 8am and stay up till 10pm, thinking no nap will help;no.  I'm up every couple of hours at night anyway and twice as exhausted.  I've tried taking 10-20 min catnaps here there, then going to be around 11.  I've also broken down an taken 1 Tylenol PM when I knew I had a long day of meetings the next day.  If you find better ways, PLEASE let me know! :-)
  • Options
    I would love to know, as well. I used to be able to sleep just fine, and now it seems like it is nearly impossible for me to fall asleep at night, although throughout the day, I am fatigued.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ...you can take ambien.  im pregnant with twins (28 weeks) and both my OB and MFM (high-risk doctor) are totally fine with it.  ...it's not class C.  it's class B.  the internet is behind the times with ambien.
  • Options
    I had the WORST pregnancy insomnia.  It lasted all nine months.  The only thing I can tell you is that I have never slept as well as after I had the baby.   I know people complain about being tired the first few weeks, but for me  I was getting more sleep then than when I was pregnant!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have sleeping problems now b/c of PPD/PPA.  I use to sleep like a rock and now I have to rely on my meds to get good sleep.  It sucks!!!!  I am fearful of becomming pregnant again (even though I know I want another child badly) b/c of what you are going through.  I did hear ambien is safe for pregnant women.  I know you want to go drug free, as I would too, but if your doctor okays ambien you probably need to take it to keep yourself sane.  I think that matters more when you are pregnant. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options

imageArdmhs83:
    I have sleeping problems now b/c of PPD/PPA.  I use to sleep like a rock and now I have to rely on my meds to get good sleep.  It sucks!!!!  I am fearful of becomming pregnant again (even though I know I want another child badly) b/c of what you are going through.  I did hear ambien is safe for pregnant women.  I know you want to go drug free, as I would too, but if your doctor okays ambien you probably need to take it to keep yourself sane.  I think that matters more when you are pregnant. 

..it is. and again, Google is behind the times with it.  but ive noticed that google is behind the times with several topics regarding pregnancy because everything is CYA when it comes to pregnancy. i have/had horrible pregnancy insomnia.  it started with when i was pregnant with my son a few years ago. from 5 weeks to 21 weeks i would get on average of 2-4 hours of broken sleep a night, and it ruined me.  i was too naive to push for the ambien with my OB. (over the past couple years there have been a couple months where i have had to take ambien so i then knew how great it was)

now, with this pregnancy, it started around 10 1/2 weeks and i got the ambien right away. went away around 18 weeks,i was able to sleep fine until about 25 weeks.  then i had issues with my gallbladder and now at 28 weeks, im having problems sleeping bc a) the twins are just really comfortable for me at night and B) i have most of my gastrointestinal issues at night.  so im back on the ambien for awhile.  i usually take 5mg.  sometimes i will take 10mg, but usually 5mg.  again, my HIGH RISK OB (the MFM) is 100% totally totally fine with it. i have 2 babies to grow and a 3 year old to take care of - sleep is very important to my health and sanity.

• Options
    Unisom Tabs (NOT gels) are safe for pregnant women. In fact, the active ingredient was originally a morning sickness medication.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"