D.C. Area Babies
Options

popular double strollers for the dc metro area?

hi everyone!  i'm new to the area but i've been down in dc a few times and in the city area of fairfax and i've notice a distinct trend for a specific baby stroller on the sidewalks.  i have no idea of the name, but it just looks expensive.  we're considering the baby jogger city select double for our twins but it's so expensive.  we have a snap n go right now but i really dont like it ... doesnt feel sturdy & safe.

what's popular around here?  what do you have, esp if you have twins. do you feel it's sturdy yet you're easily able to maneuver it?  i'm hoping for a tandem stroller if that matters.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: popular double strollers for the dc metro area?

• Options

The one's you're seeing... what do they look like?

If you want something cheap and sturdy, how about just getting a Graco? 

• Options
    I never thought about strollers being trendy. Many of my friends have a City Mini or BOB and they're happy with them as double strollers. I have a single BOB and I love it, but I probably wouldn't think it was worth the money if I wasn't using it as a jogging stroller, too.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If I had to guess, I bet it's the double BOB.  We have one we bought used from Craigs List because they are ridiculously expensive, however, in our estimation, worth every penny.  We do not use it for jogging (Embarrassed) but it goes over any terrain and that's what we love about.  We go to festivals and parks, etc. where we wheel the kids over gravel, tree roots, long grass, etc.  I swear it's like having a four wheel drive stroller.  We also put all three kids on our double - the almost-five year old just sits at the feet of either her almost-3 year old sister or her one year old brother.

They are an investment, that's for sure.  But again, since we basically use ours like a "triple" stroller, and can push the kids over all terrains, we love ours.

EDIT

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

I have the City Mini Double for my 2 year old and 8 month old. I like it for things like zoo trips, festivals, and walks around the neighborhood. However, it's not an "errand" type stroller because (1) it's heavy and somewhat hard to get in and out of the car and more importantly (2) it doesn't fit through a regular doorway.

So, I agree with your idea to get a tandem stroller. If it were me, I would probably get a double snap-and-go for when they are in the infant carriers. The snap-and-go strollers are lightweight and easier for getting in and out of the car. Then, once they get bigger, I would make a decision on what type of double stroller to get depending on your needs.

My issue with the jogger type strollers is that they are heavy. It may seem like no big deal if you just take it out or put it in the car once. However, if you are running errands to multiple places, they can be really cumbersome to be getting in and out of the car. I pulled a muscle in my back trying to get the City Mini in and out of my minivan so I'm really careful about lifting heavy/awkward things like the strollers. I only take the City Mini Double on outings when we are going to a special event (like the zoo or a festival) and when DH is with me.

With all of that being said, I'm a stroller hoarder. I have 7 strollers because I like to have the right stroller for the right occasion. I'm a big fan of Maclarens for being high quality and lightweight. However, I don't have one of their doubles so I can't offer a specific recommendation on their double strollers.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have a single Bob and a city mini double. I like them both for maneuvering, ease of fold, and comfort. Both are on the heavier side and expensive and both have terrible baskets. I haven't had any problems fitting the city mini double through doors BTW.
  • Options

Sorry, I told missed the tandem part of your post.

For errands, shopping, sidewalk walking, etc. we do have a sit and stand tandem stroller that is better for that type of thing - fits through doors a lot easier.  Now I can't remember the brand name so I'm not helpful to you - but yes, if you need a double stroller for errand-type stuff, the BOB double is not the best choice because of the width.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    Most people I see with a double seem to have the Phil and Ted that has the attachment that goes under the main seat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thanks, ladies!  i'm going to get the nerves to stop someone one day and just ask them what kind of stroller it is.  all i know is that it's usually black, but i've seen one that looked brown and black and another that was red and black.  it also had/has a big wheel in the front and it looked like the kids were sitting in bucket-type seats.  they were young kids (probably none were walking), but it just looked really comfortable. 

i'm gonna check out the phil & ted and also the city mini.  thanks so much!

• Options

Dear Victoria and Punkin,

Not in NoVa, but this is what I have.

I really don't have any complaints about my P+T (other than the directions to put it together, but they have fantastic customer service). I love,love,love my P+T.

Mine is the lower end model, and there are a few things other models have, that I don't have, but no dealbreakers. Like other strollers, it has multiple seating arrangements. I did buy the carseat attachment for mine. Love that it folds up smaller than my Graco monster, even with the attachment (for comparison purposes, it is about the same weight as my Graco system), and that I can fit through doorways super easily. A lot of tandoms are loooooooong and hard to turn, but this glides and turns like a dream.

Phillin' up,

kewliegirl

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I use a city select baby jogger for my twins. I love the versatility! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"