Trouble TTC
Options

avoid the worst pain ever: IVF ER tip

I thought I'd post this as a public service announcement to those of you who are going to be starting IVF soon (or have already started your cycle but haven't hit ER yet.)

***Warning:  this post is about poop.  I'm writing it so that other people don't have to go through what I went through.  If you think this is TMI, you've been warned!  If you choose to read, don't feel bad laughing about it!***

Sooo...  Last night I woke up at 3 a.m. in agony.  As in, I got out of bed to go to the bathroom and crumpled to the floor where DH found me panting (trying to breathe through the pain) and sweating. 

Why?  Because my digestive system was horribly, horribly blocked up, which is uncomfortable when you're a healthy human being but, when you're already sore and bloated and have damaged ovaries, is pretty much unbearable.  I  have a high pain tolerance but I have actually never felt that much pain in my life... it was like someone was ripping open my stomach and dancing on my ovaries and uterus in high heels.  That or the worst period cramps you've ever had... times ten.  I was sweating all over my body, shaking, and felt like I might throw up.  

DH was wonderfully supportive, but it's not very fun to be sitting on the toilet moaning through gut-wrenchingly horrid waves of cramps and feeling like you're going to die while your husband looks at you in concern (and Googles "post ER constipation" on his laptop.)  It was a little ridiculous, and we don't normally accompany one another to the bathroom, but I needed a hand to squeeze... kind of like I was in labor.  When, after an excruciating half hour, the blockage finally came free, DH actually cheered. 

Yup.  My husband cheered for poop.  Oh, the things that infertility does to you. 

It turns out that this is fairly common (particularly among women with mild OHSS).  So my suggestion:  Make sure your digestive system is functioning properly (and your bowels are emptying, easily, every day) before ER.  The HCG shot blocked me up, and the progesterone supps made it worse.  On my patient packet it says to drink 8-10 glasses of water to prevent constipation... I drank twice that and it didn't help.  It also says you can take Colace if you get constipated.  The trouble is, by the time there's a problem, it's too late!  You're miserable! 

So an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure --  if God forbid I ever have to go through ER again, I'll be hitting up prune juice, fiber drinks and "smooth move" tea (by Traditional Medicinals) ahead of time.  I'd advise you to do the same if you have any kind of digestive slowdown from the HCG shot, or think you might be susceptible to the progesterone.  Because you don't want to be dealing with this on top of the normal post-ER pain.  (Which I probably had an extra share of due to 34 follies.)

By the way, I've been weighing myself twice a day per the RE's orders to check for OHSS.  Weight when I went to bed last night:  127.2 pounds.  Weight this morning:  124.4.  My stomach also went down an inch in size.  Need I say more?

Hope you can at least laugh at my ridiculous night, and learn from my mistake!  It's a little funny now, but at the time, I seriously thought I was going to die... 

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

Re: avoid the worst pain ever: IVF ER tip

• Options
    OMG!!! you poor thing - that is hurrendous. i def hope you never have to go through that again!!!
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Options
    OMG!  I am so glad it's over for you!!  And, you hubs is the man! lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This reminds me of my post laparoscopy constipation. Yeah that was HORRIBLE. It hurt like no ones business. It got so bad that my doc told me if I tried one more laxative(enema) and it didnt work, to go to the ER. I had consumed over 16 different doses of laxatives in a 72 hr span and NOTHING. I literally had to leave work because I was in too much pain. Thankfully the asst manager had a lap the year before and experienced the constipation and so she knew I was dying(felt like it!)

Anyways, needless to say, of course the laxatives kicked in about 4 hours before my cut off time to go to the ER. And I was at Menards(a store like Home Depot). It was awful. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am glad you feel better, you poor thing! I laughed at your DH cheering on the poop!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my!!! Wow, thanks for taking one for the team and warning us all....so, so sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad you can (kinda) laugh about it now. Eeks! And I agree, kudos to your H!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Lynda that sounds awful!!! I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm so glad you posted this b/c I'm so prone to it (endometriosis made it worse since my bowel was wrapped around my ovary) so if I make it to IVF I will be totally prepared. PS- prenatal vitamins also add to the problem unless you're taking the kind with colace in it. 
  • Options
    imageOnTheLanai:

This reminds me of my post laparoscopy constipation. Yeah that was HORRIBLE. It hurt like no ones business. It got so bad that my doc told me if I tried one more laxative(enema) and it didnt work, to go to the ER. I had consumed over 16 different doses of laxatives in a 72 hr span and NOTHING. I literally had to leave work because I was in too much pain. Thankfully the asst manager had a lap the year before and experienced the constipation and so she knew I was dying(felt like it!)

Anyways, needless to say, of course the laxatives kicked in about 4 hours before my cut off time to go to the ER. And I was at Menards(a store like Home Depot). It was awful. 

I am so sorry you went through this too!  Honestly, it was the worst pain I've ever felt.  And I feel like nobody ever told me about this ahead of time!  I think they should tell you to take laxatives BEFORE the procedure, you know, when it will actually have an effect.  Honestly I think the laxatives I took after I was already miserable made it worse (adding gas pressure to the already miserable mix).  

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    After reading this I think I may send MH to the store for prune juice, fiber pills, and anything else he can find to prepare for next week! I'm glad you're feeling better!!
    Me: 28 DH: 33
    MFI: zero sperm (using pre-chemo frozen samples)
    9/2011 IUI#1 + 50mg Clomid= BFN
    10/2011 IUI#2 100mg Clomid+Trigger=BFN
    11/2011 IUI#3 (Last before IVF)100mg Clomid+Trigger=BFN
    1/2012 IVF. ER 1/25 (18R 15M 15F) ET 1/29
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options

imagepulga131:
    Lynda that sounds awful!!! I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm so glad you posted this b/c I'm so prone to it (endometriosis made it worse since my bowel was wrapped around my ovary) so if I make it to IVF I will be totally prepared. PS- prenatal vitamins also add to the problem unless you're taking the kind with colace in it. 

Yay!  I feel vindicated about my poop post now :)  I was kinda embarrassed to post it, but seriously, I just want NO ONE on this board to have to suffer like that.

• Options
    imagefarmerlynda:
    imageOnTheLanai:

I am so sorry you went through this too!  Honestly, it was the worst pain I've ever felt.  And I feel like nobody ever told me about this ahead of time!  I think they should tell you to take laxatives BEFORE the procedure, you know, when it will actually have an effect.  Honestly I think the laxatives I took after I was already miserable made it worse (adding gas pressure to the already miserable mix).  

I know! I was soo annoyed that they didnt say anything. I think I lost like 3-4 lbs that afternoon. It was AWFUL. It hurt to sit!! And I totally agree, the laxatives probably made it WAY worse!!

• Options
    Oh no! I've heard stories about this happening to people and one women thought she needed surgery and went to the ER without realizing she was just backed up! I'm so glad you were able to get it out and loose some weight! ;-)
  • Options

ouch!  I had a lot of issues with my digestion post lap, but not nearly as bad as this.  Luckily I live with a digestive care nurse and he knew all the right drugs to keep me on

TTC since 2010

lots of IUIs and 1 IVF all BFNs

FET currently on hold

photo guiness-1.jpg

• Options

I'm a high recommender of colace!! Any time you take narc pain meds, have surgery, etc.. take a colace a day for 3-4 days before hand- seriously!! 

I'm so sorry you went through that but glad you're feeling better. Goodness, woman! 

imageimage. image 

|| 4 years TTC, 2 M/Cs image 4 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF || 

|| DIA brought us our beautiful daughter || 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First of all, so sorry you had that experience. Thank you so much for the heads up. My nurse told me today to start colace after I complained about already having mild constipation. I'm going to whole foods shortly to load up on prune and pear juice!  We sound like a bunch of old ladies talking about metamucil!! Haha
    Aug 11 - Nov11: IUI #1,2,3 & 4 BFN
    Jan 12: IVF #1 - BFP!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lynda, that sounds terrible!  I'm so sorry.  Silver lining:  if you're husband was so supportive over a big poo, think of how wonderfully supportive he will be when you're actually in labor :)  
  • Options

Great advice Lynda. I learned this also the hard way. I have constipation IBS, and have horrible problems with this anyway. During my second IUI, right after trigger I got pain just like you described. I was by myself. I knew I needed an enema b/c it was like right there. I drove myself to CVS, sweating and feeling like I was going to pass out the entire way, and by the time I got home, I crawled into the house literally on my hands and knees.

I now ensure that my bowels are empty prior to trigger.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Options

imagekellydNC:
    Lynda, that sounds terrible!  I'm so sorry.  Silver lining:  if you're husband was so supportive over a big poo, think of how wonderfully supportive he will be when you're actually in labor :)  

LOL, that thought totally crossed my mind.  I even felt like I was making "labor noises" through the cramps...  but honestly, if labor hurts more than that did, FML!  We're all screwed.

• Options
    imagekellyrn9956:

Great advice Lynda. I learned this also the hard way. I have constipation IBS, and have horrible problems with this anyway. During my second IUI, right after trigger I got pain just like you described. I was by myself. I knew I needed an enema b/c it was like right there. I drove myself to CVS, sweating and feeling like I was going to pass out the entire way, and by the time I got home, I crawled into the house literally on my hands and knees.

Sorry you had to deal with this too.  You are one strong lady to be able to drive yourself.... I can't even imagine!

• Options
    OMG that had to be the absolute worst! I am so sorry you went through that pain!  Goodness sakes!   I hope you start feeling better pronto!!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh!!!! I am so sorry you had to go through that pain.  I hope that is all over and you never have to deal with that again.
  • Options
    Yikes!  I'm sorry you went through that, but I will definitely use your tips in an effort to avoid it happening to me!!
  • Options

OMG!! So sorry you had to go through that. I can't help but LOL though, I love how open we can all be. Two thumbs up to your DH, he is going to be awesome when you're in the delivery room!

Edited: spelling

TTC since 1/10
    First RE appt 5/11
    Dx w/ Stage IV Endo
    IVF #1 July/Aug 2011. Long lupron protocol ER 8/8 ET 8/11 = BFN
    IVF #2 - Postponed due to cyst/endo. Lap scheduled for 9/11
    **P/SAIF welcome**

~~~September Siggy Challenge~~~
  • Options
    Just added it to my list of topics to discuss with the nurse! IVF training is set for 1/26.  Thanks for the tip! 
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so glad you feel better. Thanks for the advice. 

MFI, Lap on 7/21/11 - Stage III/IV Endo and Polyps removed by D&C
    IVF #1 with ICSI - ER 1/20 (16R, 12M, 10F), ET 1/23 (1-10 cell and 1-8cell transferred), BFP on 1/31 Beta #1 on 2/3 = 68, Beta #2 on 2/6 = 261 EDD 10/12/12  
    Baby girl born 9/22/12

FET #1 - 9/16/13 - BFN

IVF #2 - ER 11/11/13 (24R, 18M, 16F), ET 11/16 (2 Grade A blasts)
    BFP on 11/23 Beta #1 = 76 EDD 8/2/14

• Options
    As much as I'm sorry that you had to go through this, the way you worded it was pretty funny. And I'm REALLY glad you posted it. I have ER around February 17th or 18th and I'm prone to constipation from all the meds in the first place so I'll definitely be taking your advice! Glad you feel better now!
  • Options
    OMG, I'm glad you are feeling better! I would have been freaking out. 
    Omg! Ty so much for posting this. I heard constipation can be a problem but I didn't think it could get that bad. I trigger tonight and now I am worried! I have been drinking more water and eating danactive but I am thinking thats not enough now. It may be too late but I will start prune juice or colace. Yikes!
    Anniversary Baby
  • Options
    I had this issue post-lap too.  It was AWFUL!!! I am so sorry you had such a horrible night, but I'm glad you are feeling better now. 
  • Options

OMG, FL, this was a tale to be told! I literally laughed out loud.  I'm sure it was terrible at the time, but at least you can see the humor in your husband cheering for a big poop!

I feel your pain, I went through it post-lap.  DH found me in a crying pile on the kitchen floor.  Thanks for the heads up that it can happen after ER!  I never want to feel that way ever again, so I'm sure you just saved me a whole lot of agony :)

Me: 31 DH: 30
    Dx DOR (AMH .49), Stage 3/4 Endo, Septate Uterus
    After 2 years, numerous tests, abdonimal surgery, and 2 IVF cycles, we are so grateful to be expecting.
    Transferred 2 "perfect" 8-cell embies 6/12. Beta 1 6/25: 472! Beta 2 6/27: 1055!
    First u/s shows TRIPLETS! WHAT?!?! Both embies stuck and one split. OMG

Levi, Henry, and Amelia were born healthy at 34w3d.
  • Options
    Omg.  Your husband is a good man, lol.  Im sorry you had to go through that :(
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options

Lynda (and Jalara)  thank you for posting this!  I've actually had a similar experience, when I was on narcotics after knee surgery this past summer.  I'm glad I know to prepare beforehand! (And Lynda, my DH actually had to give me an enema, because I was on crutches and couldn't stand up!  Poor man has gotten waaay too up close and personal; but he cracked jokes the whole time to keep me from being embarrassed.)

So sorry you both had to go through this--I hope it all settles out soon.  I found eating bran flakes and anything else with fiber was a good way to help clear mine up more quickly.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

• Options
    Oh sweetie! Ouch! I am so sorry you had to endure that pain! So glad you have a wonderful hubby! :)

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekellyrn9956:

I also have the same problem with IBS and no one told me about what could happen after ER. DH had to give me an enema the day before ET. I was told after to drink lots of water and gatorade.

TTC #1 since March 09 4 rounds of Clomind = BFN IUI #1 1/19/11 = BFP Beta #1 2/3 = 12, Beta #2 2/7 = 24, Beta #3 2/9 = 24 Chemical Preganancy IUI #2 2/28/11 = BFN IUI #3 3/30/11 = BFN IVF #1 ER 5/26, 30 retrived, 19 fertilized and 9 frozen ET 5/31 1st beta - 6/13 BFP 636! 2nd beta - 6/15 1510 3rd beta - 6/17 2700 missed m/c 7/8/11 8w1d d&c 7/11/11 ttcal FET schedule for 10/6/11 Beta #1 10/19 - 628 Beta #2 10/21 1337 Beta # 10/24 2817 missed m/c at 7 weeks. FET #2 2/21 transferred 2 perfect snowbabies. Please let this be it! Beta #1 3/5 - 1,589! image
  • Options
    Oh my goodness. So sorry you had to have all that go on. I hope it never happens again.
  • Options

Farmer - I just wanted to mention that I've been lurking on the board and you and I had almost identical stats post ER! 

My unsolicited advice - stock up on Gatorade until after your transfer.  It was my saviour (and it will get some fluids into your system and hopefully... ummm.. 'wake it up' a little).

Best of luck!!!

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • Options
    imageSweets11:

Farmer - I just wanted to mention that I've been lurking on the board and you and I had almost identical stats post ER! 

My unsolicited advice - stock up on Gatorade until after your transfer.  It was my saviour (and it will get some fluids into your system and hopefully... ummm.. 'wake it up' a little).

Best of luck!!!

Thanks Sweets!  Here's hoping my first transfer has as good a result as yours did :)  I'm still hoping I don't get OHSS so I don't have to wait for FET...

• Options
    imagesekura:

Lynda (and Jalara)  thank you for posting this!  I've actually had a similar experience, when I was on narcotics after knee surgery this past summer.  I'm glad I know to prepare beforehand! (And Lynda, my DH actually had to give me an enema, because I was on crutches and couldn't stand up!  Poor man has gotten waaay too up close and personal; but he cracked jokes the whole time to keep me from being embarrassed.)

So sorry you both had to go through this--I hope it all settles out soon.  I found eating bran flakes and anything else with fiber was a good way to help clear mine up more quickly.

So glad our husbands have a good sense of humor about these things! And glad that they're willing to do whatever it takes to take care of us :)

• Options
    Sorry you had to experience that! I agree with PP...Your hubby is the man!
    Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"