Cleveland Babies

OBs who deliver at Fairview?

Hi ladies,

I recently moved back to the Cleveland area and also recently found out I am expecting. I want to deliver at Fairview - I have heard good things about it, and it is also less than a mile from my house :)

There seems to be quite a difference as to when OBs in the area see expectant mothers for their first appointments. Some friends of mine have went in as early as six weeks, while others have waited until more like 10 weeks. I am at six weeks now, and would really like to get in for my first appointment sooner rather than later.

I am currently set to see Dr. Kappus at Fairview, but the soonest she can see me is 11/29 (when I will be 9.5 weeks along), and my understanding is that an ultrasound won't be done for at least two more weeks after that. I have heard good things about Dr. Kappus, but I don't want to wait four more weeks to see her, and I have heard that getting appointments with her is tricky.

Today, I called Dr. Eckman's office in Lakewood, as I used to see her for regular OBGYN appts when I lived here before. She could get me in a week and a half earlier. Although I loved seeing Dr. Eckman, I have read some iffy reviews about her from a labor and delivery perspective online today.

I guess my questions are, is it unusual to have to wait until 9.5 weeks for the first OB appointment? Are you aware of any other OBs who deliver at Fairview who are very good and may be easier to get appointments with? And is it worth canceling my first appt with a very good OB just so I can get in with an OB who can see me sooner and is easier to schedule with?

Decisions, decisions. In reality, I am just too darn impatient!! ;) TIA!

kissing

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP: 10/26/11 EDD: 6/28/12

Re: OBs who deliver at Fairview?

• I actually didn't even know I was pregnant till I was 10w 6d. I had been off my birth control for 2 months before we got pregnant so my whole cycle was messed up and had no idea when my LMP was so I had an u/s to confirm how far along I was that day. I was with a doctor who delivered at Southwest General but I have recently switched to see Dr. Mervart who delivers at Fairview. We have our first appointment with her next Tuesday so we'll see how it goes. She was recommended by a MFM doctor we saw at Fairview and I LOVED him so I am taking his word for it that she's really good! Nothing could be as bad as my first doctor!

GL with your search for a doctor! It's almost like searching for a husband ;) You have to have the right chemistry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I will be delivering at fairview - my OB is Dr Trunzo.  SHe has a practice in Old Brooklyn (medical building over by marcs in ridgepark plaza) She is really easy to get into see & she will deliver your baby at Fairview.
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to go to Lakewood but since Huron hospital closed and CCF truly took over operations there, it has really changed.  It's hard to get appointments and follow-up calls.  So just be warned, Lakewood seems to be really busy these days. (Part of it is that Dr. Mikol (I think that's the one) is out on maternity leave so they are all covering but still.  It has changed a lot since 2 years ago when I had my daughter there.

Though, they usually get you in pretty quickly for a dating ultrasound as soon as you call.  I had mine at 6 weeks.  And I think all of them deliver at Fairview.  I saw Dr. Gitiforooz there, and I LOVE her...just not the office management so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB is Dr. Klaus. His office is by where the old westgate mall used to be....not sure if that's still called westgate or not. He is awesome! I went in for my first appt at 5 weeks (i thought i was further along) and he did an ultrasound. I go back tomorrow for another ultrasound for dating. He is an awesome doctor!

• I'm going to Dr. Zanatti (Zinatti?) at Avon Women's Health Center, she's out of Fairview.  She wants to see patients before their 8th week but she doesn't do ultrasounds at the first appointment.  I really like Avon Women's Health (pretty building, nice receptionists), she was recommended but I've never gone to her before.  I used to go to Dr. Colangelo in Westlake and she's also Fairview but she also doesn't do a u/s at the first appointment, and her receptionist was very unhelpful.  I recently had an ultrasound at 7 weeks w/ my RE and it made me feel so much better to see that heartbeat so I definitely understand wanting to get in soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hi! I would love to send you to Dr. Stacie Jhaveri. She is so personable and friendly and I really enjoy seeing her. This is my first child, so I was also unsure as to why I had to wait so long to see someone! I found out when I was 7 weeks, and they did not want to see me until I was between 10 and 12 weeks. I talked with some other moms, and they have told me similar stories. She is easy to get appointments though, and I just have to say how much I really enjoy her as my doctor! I found her online as well, through good reviews on multiple insurance websites. 

good luck!

• Not sure who you decided to go with but I would caution you against Dr. Ekman.  She was my gyn for 8 years and I really liked her but I've been really disappointed the past few weeks.  I had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago and I have yet to talk to her.  She's only had the nurses take blood and nothing else. 

The staff in the office isn't the best either.  There are a few true gems but overall it's not that great. 

Just not a great sign if a patient has a miscarriage and you don't even take the time to answer questions or tell the patient what to expect.  Any information I was able to get about what to do / no to do was from the internet.  Not the best place to get medical advice.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions posted ... I'm obviously in the market for a new OB.  And OP - best of luck to you!

• Yes it is totally normal for you to have to wait to have your first OB appt.   With my first - I think I had to wait like 10 weeks - it was torture!   Typically if you go before 7 weeks, there can often not be a HB and sometimes if it's really early, you might not see a yolk sac.  So then you have to wait a week, worry and go back again to check again.  The longer you wait, the more you and your Dr can see. 

As for actual OBs, my Dr is on the eastside, so I can't help you there. 

GL! 

Me - 39, DH - 49. BFP #1 6/09, DD- 03/17/10. BFP #2 4/29/11, Blighted Ovum at 8 weeks BFP #3 CP 12/27/11. RLP panel - normal. AMH - 2.1, FSH - 9.1, E2 - 74. IUI #1 + 100mg Clomid - BFN. HSG - CLEAR!! IUI #2+Clomid+Trigger-BFP!! EDD 3/28/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for all of your great suggestions! In the end, I cancelled my appt with Eckman and have decided to wait it out for Kappus. I only have six more days now until my first appointment and am glad that I waited. Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :)
    kissing

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP: 10/26/11 EDD: 6/28/12

• imagelbell13:
    I'm going to Dr. Zanatti (Zinatti?) at Avon Women's Health Center, she's out of Fairview.  She wants to see patients before their 8th week but she doesn't do ultrasounds at the first appointment.  I really like Avon Women's Health (pretty building, nice receptionists), she was recommended but I've never gone to her before.  I used to go to Dr. Colangelo in Westlake and she's also Fairview but she also doesn't do a u/s at the first appointment, and her receptionist was very unhelpful.  I recently had an ultrasound at 7 weeks w/ my RE and it made me feel so much better to see that heartbeat so I definitely understand wanting to get in soon.

This...only I saw Dr. Parker.  Even though there were other OB's closer to my house I drove the 20 minutes to go here because of the great staff.  I delivered the morning of one of my appointments but they forgot to cancel my appointment, my doctors nurse got really concerned that I 'missed' my checkup that she actually called me to make sure I was ok! 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJenniCollins:

imagelbell13:
    I'm going to Dr. Zanatti (Zinatti?) at Avon Women's Health Center, she's out of Fairview.  She wants to see patients before their 8th week but she doesn't do ultrasounds at the first appointment.  I really like Avon Women's Health (pretty building, nice receptionists), she was recommended but I've never gone to her before.  I used to go to Dr. Colangelo in Westlake and she's also Fairview but she also doesn't do a u/s at the first appointment, and her receptionist was very unhelpful.  I recently had an ultrasound at 7 weeks w/ my RE and it made me feel so much better to see that heartbeat so I definitely understand wanting to get in soon.

This...only I saw Dr. Parker.  Even though there were other OB's closer to my house I drove the 20 minutes to go here because of the great staff.  I delivered the morning of one of my appointments but they forgot to cancel my appointment, my doctors nurse got really concerned that I 'missed' my checkup that she actually called me to make sure I was ok! 

It really does make a difference since they're the ones scheduling all your appointments, answering stupid questions, etc.  Dr. Zanatti also did an u/s at the first appointment to date it, I just was told she wouldn't.  I almost went with Dr. Parker (Tammy, not the male one) but was recommended Zanatti so went w/ her and really like her and everyone else there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"