April 2011 Moms
Options

LO bit another baby :(

So today at playgroup we were visiting with a friend and her son, who is only 2 weeks younger than Quinn. I wasnt really paying attention because they usually play so nice together. Quinn kinda leaned over, and then suddenly the other boy starts crying. My friend says "oh he bit his cheek!" and scoops up her baby to snuggle him. Luckily she was laughing it off and was not mad at all, and then joked about it later on (Her SIL is my best and oldest friend)

But I feel TERRIBLE! Quinn loves to give kisses and so when I saw him lean I didnt even worry. I dont know why he would do that. I totally get that at this age they dont really know what they are doing when they pinch or bite, but it makes me feel bad all the same. I never thought we would have this particular thing come up so early!

Re: LO bit another baby :(

• Options
    DS bites, pinches, and slaps everyone.  I know there is nothing I can do at this stage except warn people.  I do try to redirect so he will pinch or bite himself once in a while so maybe he will learn that it hurts, but I think he is just too young to understand any consequences (we are talking about a kid that slams his face into the floor when he is frustrated).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageScout2005:

I really don't think it's malicious at this age. DD likes to give big kisses, and she doesn't realize she has teeth. She chomps down on me here and there.

I have started saying "ouch!" and putting her down, because we're getting to the point where she should be able to make the connection. But I honestly believe there is no intent to cause pain, she just doesn't know better. 

This exactly. He always nuzzles into my shoulder, and I have felt a bite a couple times. I say "ouch" and put him down. I can understand you feeling bad about it, I would feel the same way!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

awww - My DS slapped his playgroup buddy the other day! it happens...they are just expressing themselves in the only way they know how.

but isn't it funny how you have the biter? haha i have the snotty nosed kid...and i'm sure we always said our kids will never be "that" kid! haha  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagenugget0411:

but isn't it funny how you have the biter? haha i have the snotty nosed kid...and i'm sure we always said our kids will never be "that" kid! haha  

Haha that is a super funny way of looking at it nugget! I'm not very surprised I have "The Biter" since that was me when I was little  Wink

Thanks Ladies, I know he didnt mean to hurt him, but I just felt bad like I should have caught it.  Each thing is new with the first baby!

• Options
    I was a biter. My mom said when I was mad I'd bite my brother and I was definitely old enough to know better. Dean's a scratcher. No matter how short I keep his nails he finds one little sharp edge to slash at me with!!
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Options

My friend bought this book to read to her daughter after she bit another child at daycare.....ha ha, maybe a future purchase for you as well?  :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Teeth-are-Not-for-Biting/dp/1408110709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326414803&sr=8-1

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"