April 2012 Moms

Lucie vs. Lucy

Hi all, you probably don't recognize me since I can't post comments on my iphone and that's mainly what I use to read the boards, so kind of a lurker by default.

Anyway, We have a couple of name options in the air and one of them is Lucie/Lucy. My husband is French so we want a name that works in both French and English and we also want a name that won't have a nickname (Claire is our other option). 

Lucie is the French spelling and I feel it works in English as well and people would know how it should be pronounced. My husband feels that it won't be fun for our daughter to have to tell people how to spell her name, so he thinks we should go with Lucy.

Do any of you have a name that's not spelled the traditional way and does it bother you when people misspell it? I know it annoys me when people stick an "h" in my name even though I have the traditional spelling. Thanks!

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage

Re: Lucie vs. Lucy

• I think both are acceptable, but if you go with Lucie, you'll be having to correct the spelling all the time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My name is spelled the traditional way (Gillian), but the Americanized way (Jillian) is more popular.  It is misspelled (and mispronounced) all the time.  I prefer my name spelled as I spell it, even with the issues.

I think both Lucie and Lucy are fine.  She'll definitely get Lucie spelled wrong by others a lot, but I like that it works in both French and English, so I'd probably go with that.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Loading the player...
  • I'd go with Lucy unless you live in a community with a lot of French-speaking people.
  • I would go with Lucy. I think for first names, you should just make things as easy as possible for the kid. If you go with the more common spelling, she won't have to spell it out or correct people all the time.
  • Go with Lucy.  It will be much easier for her.  And she'll be able to find things with her name on them at touristy stores!

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• I would go with Lucy. You don't want to have to keep correcting people on the spelling of her name.
  • I would go with Lucy, very pretty.  If DS #1 would have been a girl that was his chosen name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You'll have to spell her name when you're on the phone, etc but I think they are both very acceptable spellings in the US. I prefer Lucie but don't know why!
  • Actually, I think Lucie is much prettier. It's not such a complicated name or spelling that it'll be that difficult/that much of a pain to correct when people misspell it. Also, the fact that her father is French and she can tell people that it's the French spelling is a nice thing, IMO.
  • I would go with Lucie. I have a last name that I always have to spell. In elementary school it was annoying, but I got over it, and it just became habit & no big deal to spell. It's not like you would be using a different spelling just for the fun of it. I don't agree with choosing a spelling based on what's easiest for most Americans. It might be different if you were considering a name that most people would not have a clue how to pronounce, but I definitely don't see a problem with Lucie.
    First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTambcat:
    I'd go with Lucy unless you live in a community with a lot of French-speaking people.

Agreed! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would go with Lucy. All I can think of is how I met Your Mother where they are talking about how girls with names ending in ie are slutty...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageelainej:
    I would go with Lucie. I have a last name that I always have to spell. In elementary school it was annoying, but I got over it, and it just became habit & no big deal to spell. It's not like you would be using a different spelling just for the fun of it. I don't agree with choosing a spelling based on what's easiest for most Americans. It might be different if you were considering a name that most people would not have a clue how to pronounce, but I definitely don't see a problem with Lucie.

Yeah, I don't think I would consider an alternate spelling if it would lead t pronunciation issues, but I think people will know how to pronounce it with the spelling Lucie.

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"