June 2012 Moms

doing weight watchers while pregnant

i was on weight watchers before i got pregnant (i had lost weight after having DS and was just in maintenance mode), and the second i got pregnant I quit (they kick you out anyway).

however i've had two different people ask me if i was still on WW and they are really surprised when i say you can't follow it while pregnant.  I totally get it--they would never want to be responsible for some pregnant woman restricting her food intake and risking any issues with pregnancy since you are definitely supposed to gain weight while pregnant.  but these few people really didn't understand why i wouldn't want to try and still follow it while pregnant.  for the record--of course i'm still pro healthy eating while pregnant....

odd, no? and i'm laughing realizing this post title may look controversial if i look like i'm advocating 'dieting' while pregnant :)

i just thought it was really weird people would be so shocked. or is it just me?

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: doing weight watchers while pregnant

• Have these people never been pregnant?  If not, I suppose their ignorance would make more sense to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never been on WW so I don't know what all it entails, but I would just tell people that I was still following the plan, but modified for the baby with supervision of my OB. They don't need to know you're not paying the monthly fee, only that you're trying to stay healthy and active to have a healthy pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Very strange that you posted this. I was pondering this same thing earlier today. I was also on WW before getting pregnant and cancelled as soon as I found out. I still make a lot of the recipes but I don't count points anymore. I haven't had anyone ask if I were still on it, but part of me wishes they had WW for pregnancy (although I completely see why they don't). I miss being held accountable for what I eat. Even though I know I could still keep a food diary if I really cared.

• I'm surprised they don't have WW for pregnancy.  All they'd have to do is adjust your daily points to allow for a healthy gain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
  • I was on WW also before I got pregnant.

My MW was okay with me doing their maintenance program (WW wouldn't allow it). 

FTR I wasn't healthy before, joining WW made me find healthy food that I liked. I eat veggies because I like them, not because they are good for you. I haven't counted points since September, but subconsciously I know I am making good eating choices during this pregnancy because I was on WW. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • imageamy5162:
    Have these people never been pregnant?  If not, I suppose their ignorance would make more sense to me.

one of them has 3 kids....but she's super controlling about what she eats (borderline anorexic i personally think) so i could see how she would think it's normal to follow a diet type plan while pregnant.

other posters, i understand/agree about the accountability thing....sometimes i think about tracking myself on paper just to see where i'm at but i figure if i just eat healthy i'll gain what i gain and re-join after the baby is born.

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally would have no problem doing the Weight Watchers maintenance diet while pregnant with just a few modifications (more calcium, folic acid, etc.). Plenty of women do it while breastfeeding, so I don't see why not.
  • I am not following a point system, I just keep eating the healthy choices I was eating before and if I need to eat more becuase I am hungry, then I do. I just make sure they are healthy choices. and of course I will eat a sweet here and there :). I plan on getting on ww after birth because they have it for breastfeeding as well.

• I think it's not a ridiculous question - following the good health guidelines are good for everyone.  I was on WW, but I changed to my fitness pal when I got pregnant.  I can control my intake and monitor my nutrition that way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageOO cupcakes OO:
    I'm surprised they don't have WW for pregnancy.  All they'd have to do is adjust your daily points to allow for a healthy gain.

Strange, I was just thinking this the other day. 

I was on WW for a year and a half and then maintenance for awhile before getting pregnant.  Since I've stopped distance running and WW due to pregnancy I've gained 13 pounds!  My doctor told me not to worry about losing any weight, but to slow down the gain (a lot) in my second and third trimester.

I'm the type who needs to count calories/points, otherwise I go nuts.  I have very little willpower without my numbers.

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • I don't know why people freak out when I tell them I'm using WW as a guideline.  I write down what I eat, and it helps me track my fruits & veg., dairy, water, and protein intake.  It is so damn easy to eat like crap when you're pregnant (boy, were the holidays tough!).  Being disciplined about eating healthy fats and protein is not only helping me, but it's best for the baby.  Put in the work now, and it will be a lot easier to get back in shape after the baby is born.  I don't know why people get so worked up!  
  • imageOO cupcakes OO:
    I'm surprised they don't have WW for pregnancy.  All they'd have to do is adjust your daily points to allow for a healthy gain.

This!! I have no idea how to gain weight in a healthy way!! 

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageOO cupcakes OO:

I know! It's really annoying.

• Yeah I think it would be much better to be on a modified WW plan than to eat like crap and gain weight.  I've been eating terribly though I was a healthy weight before getting pregnant, and I know I'd probably be better off if I subscribed to a little of the WW philosophy.  It doesn't have to be so much about counting points as eating healthily.
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am sort of following WW. I am a bad eater and join WW in 2007, I lost 42 pounds and became a Lifetime member. I have managed to keep (most) of the weight off all of that time. So when I got pregnant I was and still am very nervous of going back to my old habits and not eating healthy enough for the baby. So after talking to my doctor and realizing I am only suppose to really eat 300 calories more a day I just took the plan and added about 3 points to my daily point range. This way my head thinks I need to eat more fruits and veggies because they are free and not that I get to eat cookies and candy all day because I am pregnant. Don't get me wrong I am definitely not as strick as I was when I was losing, I just want to eat healthy for the baby. I have gained about 15 pounds I think so I am gaining weight.

I agree they should have a WW for pregnant women. Although then I think they would lose money on the women that gain too much and join once the baby is born.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kizr12kizr12 member
     I am very newly pregnant (6 weeks) and am officially eating anything that comes within a 5 mile radius, probably because I feel like I should get to (darn-it). I am starting out this pregnancy about seven to ten pounds overweight, and decided that in order to not end up obese, I need to track. So, I just changed my WW setting to maintenance mode. In the second and third trimester, I'll adjust the points to try to add the appropriate amount of weight gain per my OB recommendations. I think this will help me add calories the healthy way, instead of just saying "whatever" and eating a Snickers Bar every afternoon. 

Which, let's be honest, is what I'd really like to do.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"