Texas Babies

Birth Classes in the area

We're planning to deliver at BAMC and while they offer a ton of parenting and infant classes, they seem to have nothing in the way of labor and delivery.  It's like somebody forgot you have to have the baby before you can parent it!  This being our first, we'd both feel a lot better prepared with some more information on dealing with labor.  I don't have any definite ideas on medication one way or the other, I'm kind of taking a 'wait and see how bad it hurts' approach, so I'd really like some more info on going without.  Does anybody know of any classes in the San Antonio area, be they Lamaze or something similar, that I could look into?  Thanks a bunch!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth Classes in the area

• We did Bradley method classes which are very pro natural birth.  I thought the classes were great, but they are time intensive, 12 weeks 2 hours each week and homework.   I know someone whom took a birthing from within class from her midwife here, but I have no clue what it's like.   You could also read some books on labor and delivery.   Dr sears, if I remember correctly seemed to be pro natural childbirth but that sometimes medical interventions are good.  I don't know if there is a specific labour book, but his pregnancy book deals with labor.   The Bradley method also has a book but I don't remember the whole title right now.  Also if you're looking at a doula, she may be able to offer you info on l&d or point you to a good class for what you want. 

• imagekami1977:

We did Bradley method classes which are very pro natural birth.  I thought the classes were great, but they are time intensive, 12 weeks 2 hours each week and homework.   I know someone whom took a birthing from within class from her midwife here, but I have no clue what it's like.   You could also read some books on labor and delivery.   Dr sears, if I remember correctly seemed to be pro natural childbirth but that sometimes medical interventions are good.  I don't know if there is a specific labour book, but his pregnancy book deals with labor.   The Bradley method also has a book but I don't remember the whole title right now.  Also if you're looking at a doula, she may be able to offer you info on l&d or point you to a good class for what you want. 

Yeah, we start Bradley classes next week and they end in mid-end of March. I think that may be out for you. However, as pp said, I would look into some of the  Dr. Sears books and possibly a doula. Go to doulasanantonio (dot) com. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Here are three helpful sites:

https://www.sanantonionaturalparenting.com/Pregnancy_Breastfeeding.html

For this one, scroll down to Childbirth Education. There is a listing for lamaze and bradley, as well as birthing from within.

https://www.sabirthdoulas.org/

SA Birth Doulas has a free class starting on the 12th, not sure if there's time to join in or not.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/san-antonio-natural-parenting/january-news-events/319381408094632

Not sure if you'll be able to see this one or not. If not, add SA Natural Parenting as a friend and you'll be set. They have TONS of info.

Good luck!

• Thank you so much ladies, I appreciate the help!!!
  • I was going to ask the same question. We are delivering at BAMC but I'm being seen at Wilford Hall. I'm surprised they don't offer this at BAMC, they have everything else.
  • I did actually see a sign up at the BAMC office earlier this week about a childbirth class, but I don't know what it consists of exactly.  I'm probably going to check it out and be sure it's not something that's already been/being covered in the Centering group, but maybe it'll do you some good!  I would call the OB/GYN office there and ask them about it, I didn't get a chance to write the number down.  I don't think it's going to really cover Lamaze or anything like that, but you never know!
  • imageRelativeChaos00:
    I did actually see a sign up at the BAMC office earlier this week about a childbirth class, but I don't know what it consists of exactly.

I did a childbirth class at Ft. Sam 3 years ago.  Not sure if it's the same thing you're doing, but it was 95% focused on the physiology of labor and not on pain relief.  They had a few different speakers come in, one of which was a Doula or something similar (I can't remember anymore), and she did a very brief talk about natural pain relief, but she had literally like 10 min total.  If you know you want to learn a particular method for dealing with the pain, I highly suggest you look into an additional class.

OTOH, if the "new & improved" Ft. Sam class happens to cover natural pain relief well, let me know!  I did go natural with DS, but I just sorta muddled through it.  I'd like to be a bit more focused and feel more in control this time. 

Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"